Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car no longer opening with phone [Samsung Galaxy?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue, Galaxy S10.

I've found that I don't even need to unlock the phone, just pressing the power button is enough to wake up whatever needs waking, and then the car unlocks.

Frustrating, it never used to be an issue.

Luke
Yes thats right, dont even have to unlock phone just screen needs to light up then car will unlock. Im going to remove the phone and unpair from the car later then re-add and see what it does!

Same here, into day 2 now with no issues, will see what happens.

So after deleting phone and then re-adding it at the weekend, it unlocked the car every time without needing the screen on like it always used to...then this morning it wouldnt unlock so had to power on the phone screen then the car unlocked. So guess this feature has now been removed or broken, very annoying,

• Informative
Reactions: MrWattson
I have a Samsung Galaxy S9, and the same thing happens to me. I walk up to my 2020 M3, but I can't unplug it until I take the phone out of my pocket and fire up the Tesla app.
I don't want to hijack this thread ( there is another one on it) but this is some sort of Samsung issue not Tesla . started to happen to everyone at the same time. its like it won't connect until the phone is unlocked. I am having the same issue but it only seems to be Samsung owners. I don't have to open the app though. just turning on the screen seems to be enough to fire it up I have the app set to never sleep though.

Reactions: Gatsojon
I don't want to hijack this thread ( there is another one on it) but this is some sort of Samsung issue not Tesla . started to happen to everyone at the same time. its like it won't connect until the phone is unlocked. I am having the same issue but it only seems to be Samsung owners. I don't have to open the app though. just turning on the screen seems to be enough to fire it up I have the app set to never sleep though.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try just turning on the screen and see if that gets me access to my car.

just in case anyone thinks I am crazy the moderator moved this here from another thread. So in fact THIS was the other one I was talking about.

My experience to date is that it's not a hard fault - sometimes it works fine. Also, as posts above, I don't need to unlock the phone, just pressing a button to light the screen up is enough.

Luke
How do you light the screen up without getting into your car?

Last night my car updated to 2020.48.12. Went to my car today to check out what’s new and the phone key wouldn’t t open the car. I used the app to get in and then noticed the phone key wouldn’t start the car. Seems it had lost BT connection. I turned the iPhone Bluetooth off and on and it started to work with the car again. I’ve had this intermittent problem for about 3 weeks now probably since .48