Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car no longer opening with phone [Samsung Galaxy?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah. I’ll try that next time. I think it’s a tesla software issue. It’s worked for month for me and only just now it’s causing issues.
if it might be a car issue then we should all raise service requests. If Tesla don't know its an issue they wont know to do anything about it.
The more people report the same issue the more likely they are to understand how wide spread it is and do something about it.

I wonder if there is a limit of number of BT devices on the phone, connected or otherwise?

I use BT to communicate with a number of devices simultaneously and once in a while, I get problems with them failing to connect or dropping out, sometimes mid use. I found that closing down other apps normally clears the problem (I suspect it prevents the app from making a BT connection as I have several apps that can theoretically connect to the devices), although I never close the Tesla app even though it will at that location / point in time have an active/connected BT connection.

3 simultaneous connections seem to be the point of teetering on the edge of stability.

I wonder if there is a limit of number of BT devices on the phone, connected or otherwise?

I use BT to communicate with a number of devices simultaneously and once in a while, I get problems with them failing to connect or dropping out, sometimes mid use. I found that closing down other apps normally clears the problem (I suspect it prevents the app from making a BT connection as I have several apps that can theoretically connect to the devices), although I never close the Tesla app even though it will at that location / point in time have an active/connected BT connection.

3 simultaneous connections seem to be the point of teetering on the edge of stability.

I have no more connected now then I did months ago and the car unlocking worked fine then.

I raised this with Tesla back in Nov, since then the problem has been continuing and have provided timestamps to them. They came back with this today -

'Good Afternoon, this is TESLA Service, I have continued my investigation into your phone key failing to unlock the vehicle. From the signals around the time stamps you have provided I have confirmed that this is a issue with the mobile app that is currently under investigation by our software team. This fault will be resolved by future updates to the TESLA mobile app. Thank you for your time.'

I also have an S10. For me, the issue started when I installed the COVID exposure notifications update. Maybe just a coincidence, although that update does also use bluetooth. Anyway, as others have said, pressing the power button on the phone to light the screen up works 100% of the time. Hopefully the Tesla team will crack it as it is a little less convenient than it used to be.