Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car no longer "seeing" other vehicles or road markings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used autopilot on the way to work, as I usually do.

On the way home, autopilot wasn't offered. I noticed also that none of the road markings or other vehicles were displayed on the screen. Figured maybe the cameras were having issues but there were no warnings of that nature (just the tyre pressure being slightly lower than ideal.)

The sensors seemed to be working as I was getting the curved indicators on the display when stopped in traffic etc.

Tried a reboot. Still no autopilot or road markings/vehicles showing up. Occasionally there'd be a tiny car in the far distance but it would disappear quickly.

Got home, checked the front cameras had a clear view, gave the other cameras a wipe and went indoors, leaving the car to hopefully go to sleep. Went back out an hour later and drove up the road and back and there were still no other vehicles showing on the display. Did notice that the car was making a small amount of noise when I approached it so I'm wondering if it didn't actually go to sleep yet.

I had the rear camera displayed most of the time - took the USB stick out to check the other cameras and all the ones that it records had footage so the cameras appear to be working.

Any ideas?

It will probably sort itself leaving it overnight. But worth raising a bug report (probably too late by now) and booking a service ticket.

I presume no sign of ecall or gpx not updating? We had similar no obstacles on scteen when ecall gave service needed message - its booked in for that as apparently parts needed after remote diagnostics found a problem.

Try the reboot with both the buttons and the brake pedal (hold until reset)
If that doesn't work book a service appointment - someone will attempt to diagnose it remotely.

1) Park the car.

2) Disable Sentry mode and Summon Standby, which prevent it going into a deep sleep.

3) Walk away fro the car, and stay well away from (say over 50 yards) to allow it to go into a deep sleep.

4) Leave it for (say) 15 minutes.

All should be fixed when you return to the car.

Thanks - problem resolved via hard reboot.

I'd already taken the USB stick out to check if the cameras were recording anything and had left that attached to my computer.

Did a hard reboot with the brake pedal down (though I'm sure I read somewhere that apparently this doesn't do any different to a regular reboot but most places I've heard about this seem to say it does!)

Drove a small circuit around some nearby roads and it was happily showing feint lines where it was trying to figure out where the edges of the roads are (quite a lot of parallel parking around here) but it was eventually picking up the middle road markings and showing me cars on the display.

No ecall errors (had that on one occasion recently but it went away quickly) and wasn't using satnav - I tend to just leave the rear cam open if I'm familiar with the route.