Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not communicating...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left my Model S in Florida garage two days ago. I'm in NY until January. I thought I left it plugged in, with 50% charge limit, at 20A. However, it's not communicating now. The app thinks it's communicating but it's not. It shows an empty battery with ---% (Dashboard app says "Not Charging"). I've never seen this before. Anyone know what it means? I'm concerned for battery drain over 2 months. It appears the car is completely shut down. Is that possible? At this point, it should still have near 50% and no reason not to respond. Thoughts?

I saw your thread because my model 3 is getting ceramic coated and I can’t seem to connect to it through the app — was wondering if maybe they left the door open and drained my battery, and was searching to see if the car is smart enough to go into a deep sleep rather than completely deplete the battery, which I would imagine is not great for it. Anyway, I would sure hope that your battery hasn’t gone from 50% to 0% in only 2 days! Only way that might happen is if something was left on, like cabin overheat protection, while unplugged. Is there anyone in Florida that can check in on your car? I sympathize with you, as that kind of uncertainty for months would drive me crazy!

Other question I had is if my inability to connect is due to a network outage. Wish the app would provide that info.

Anyway, since your post was a few weeks ago, I hope you’ve gotten some resolution.

I saw your thread because my model 3 is getting ceramic coated and I can’t seem to connect to it through the app — was wondering if maybe they left the door open and drained my battery, and was searching to see if the car is smart enough to go into a deep sleep rather than completely deplete the battery, which I would imagine is not great for it. Anyway, I would sure hope that your battery hasn’t gone from 50% to 0% in only 2 days! Only way that might happen is if something was left on, like cabin overheat protection, while unplugged. Is there anyone in Florida that can check in on your car? I sympathize with you, as that kind of uncertainty for months would drive me crazy!

Other question I had is if my inability to connect is due to a network outage. Wish the app would provide that info.

Anyway, since your post was a few weeks ago, I hope you’ve gotten some resolution.

Sorry I missed your post for so long. Is there's a way to be notified of activity on a thread you're following?

No resolution for me yet. I won't be back for a few more weeks. How did your situation turn out?

I do have folks in Florida that have a key. But, frankly, it's a 55+ community and no one with car knowledge, much less EV. I'd rather just wait it out.

I did finally decided to sit on hold for an hour to talk to Tesla Support. Other than the hold time, support was excellent. No pressure to get t the next call. We talked a long time and I really appreciated it. At first he said maybe it was the app because he could contact the car. But then he realized that he wasn't getting any info either. Odd, it's like the car is communication but not communicating. Most importantly, I now have a plan of attack. I had researched possibilities and planned to check power and charging first. Then I'd find the manual Frunk release cables and hopefully get to the 12V battery to put on a charger. Well, Support simply said - "Oh no, don't bother with all that, just call Roadside". So cool. You'd never get that with any other car. So satisfying. I wasted a lot of time developing my DIY plan. Still, I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

Sorry I missed your post for so long. Is there's a way to be notified of activity on a thread you're following?

No resolution for me yet. I won't be back for a few more weeks. How did your situation turn out?

I do have folks in Florida that have a key. But, frankly, it's a 55+ community and no one with car knowledge, much less EV. I'd rather just wait it out.

I did finally decided to sit on hold for an hour to talk to Tesla Support. Other than the hold time, support was excellent. No pressure to get t the next call. We talked a long time and I really appreciated it. At first he said maybe it was the app because he could contact the car. But then he realized that he wasn't getting any info either. Odd, it's like the car is communication but not communicating. Most importantly, I now have a plan of attack. I had researched possibilities and planned to check power and charging first. Then I'd find the manual Frunk release cables and hopefully get to the 12V battery to put on a charger. Well, Support simply said - "Oh no, don't bother with all that, just call Roadside". So cool. You'd never get that with any other car. So satisfying. I wasted a lot of time developing my DIY plan. Still, I'm anxious to see how it turns out.
Hi, yes, you can go into your preferences and one of the first options you’ll see, is a checkbox to: “receive email notifications of replies” to threads that you’ve created. Seems like that should be on by default, but it’s not.

My situation resolved itself a few hours after I posted. I kept rechecking the app, and eventually my car showed back up with exactly the same charge level as it had when I dropped it off. So, thankfully, it appears to have been a temporary server or app communication issue, rather than a dead battery.

Your situation sounds different, since your app still says it’s connected but gives you the blank charge level. Hopefully you’ll get home to find the battery fully charged, and maybe just a system reboot will restore normal communications. Worst case, a ranger can come out to troubleshoot. Good luck, and happy holidays! :)

Thanks. I updated my Preferences. It is odd that it's not default. All those "Automatically watch...." and you have to check to be notified. So who's watching, and for what?

Glad your situation resolved. Will let you know what I find in a few weeks. Happy Holidays.

Wow, I'm really slow, sorry I didn't reply sooner. Bottom line, the car didn't communicate because the MCU crashed. Two finger reboot and all's well. I'm surprised no one mentioned that, I posted in a couple of forums. As I recall, even Tesla Support didn't suggest it.