Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car not finding home wifi - suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what sort of size and frequency updates are? Since openreach broke my physical connection 12 months ago I’ve still not managed to get anyone to fix it, so now use 4G exclusively. It’s actually more reliable and significantly faster, however EE do not offer an unlimited plan (despite their marketing material saying otherwise- it has a 600 Gb/month FUP).

Others have answered your first question but:
We have a unlimited 4G via Virgin Media for £27 a month ... we have a sim in a wifi router because the land line speed is so low around here. (Virgin recently changed from using the EE network to using the Vodafone network for this. There are other sim only unlimited data options these days.)

Reactions: page3
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this above?

I bought this soloution for my lack of wifi signal (wifi repeater hotspot that sits in the car). On street parking for me

This unit connects to your home wifi, your car connects to this which sits in your cubby hole.

Setup is very easy, you can add multiple connections (ie work & home). It is powered by the usb in the car. And your car does sleep using this.

When i get home and put the car in Park this auto connects and the car can then check for updates etc.

Had it for over a year and not had a problem yet (touches wooden head!)

Reactions: Nick77
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this above?

I bought this soloution for my lack of wifi signal (wifi repeater hotspot that sits in the car). On street parking for me

This unit connects to your home wifi, your car connects to this which sits in your cubby hole.

Setup is very easy, you can add multiple connections (ie work & home). It is powered by the usb in the car. And your car does sleep using this.

When i get home and put the car in Park this auto connects and the car can then check for updates etc.

Had it for over a year and not had a problem yet (touches wooden head!)
Interesting cheers.

I don't see how that boosts speeds though. If the mini hotspot can see enough WiFi signal to repeat it then surely so can the car.

What was it like before you used it?

Interesting cheers.

I don't see how that boosts speeds though. If the mini hotspot can see enough WiFi signal to repeat it then surely so can the car.

The Model 3 (2019 model especially) has crap wifi. Not sure about the MIC version. You literally have to park the car on top of the router for it to connect to your home wifi router.

This sorted out my problem and many others on here.

May be worth trying. I can occasionally pickup my home WiFi if I'm right outside the house but only one bar. I guess that device would make the car see full bars and not have a fit about downloading stuff. It'd just be pretty slow going.

May be worth trying. I can occasionally pickup my home WiFi if I'm right outside the house but only one bar. I guess that device would make the car see full bars and not have a fit about downloading stuff. It'd just be pretty slow going.
It wont boost speed (might do a little), not sure what wifi chip Tesla uses but i assume its a cheapish one.

What it will do is allow your car to be parked across the road and connect to your home wifi. Assuming you have signal at the front already (Your phone connects with 4 bars but your tesla shows none or 1)

Interesting cheers.

It won’t boost the speed, it’ll halve the speed but increase the signal strength/quality. Wireless signal repeaters need to use some of their bandwidth to maintain a link back to the main network, meaning there’s less bandwidth for the client devices.

I was so frustrated with the weak WiFi connectivity of my 3 that I ran CAT 6 to my garage to install a WiFi access point within a few feet of the car. The car (mine at least) definitely has 5GHz connectivity. It does seem the car needs a strong nearby signal, whether 2.4GHz or 5GHz to obtain a reliable connection. As mentioned above, Tesla appears only to support the channels used in the USA.

I was having a similar issue but it wasn’t signal strength. My ‘21 Model Y used to connect perfectly to the WiFi and saw all the neighbors but one day it just stopped seeing any at all. A quick reboot (holding down both scroll wheels for 15 seconds) got them all back. Took about 1 min to reboot and I was back online in less than 2.

Not sure if this is a biggie or not but looks like my home wifi isn't strong enough to reach where the car is parked. The Zappi installer had to install the hub next to a one of the mesg boosters because of this and that worked for the zappi. But car is parked in the same location as the zappi and the car cant find the wifi.

Best thoughts on rectifying its an old granite property so walls are quite thick.

Do have some outside power points but no facility to run cat cables.

Any suggestions other than using mobile hotspot,

Have also noticed since getting the car my android samsung note 9 is using a lot more charge.

Thanks

Ian
A very strong recommendation when weird Wifi issues arise is one suggested here somewhere: Boot the computer (apply brake while pushing both scroll wheels, wait for black screen). I was finding no networks. Now normal.

Reactions: init6