Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not going to sleep + excessive vampire drain while connected to wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you haven't already, please read this:
My vehicle is not sleeping! / Knowledge base / TeslaFi

It outlines settings required to make the car sleep when using TeslaFi, including in-car settings. Some of these vary from one release to another and from one car to another. One in-car feature which I needed to disable was the Tesla's cabin overheat protection feature. (At least, I did turn it off after reading that page. I haven't tried it with that feature enabled, so maybe it would actually work.)

Unfortunately, none of the recommendations have made a difference for me. Since I'm already collecting stats (some of which I can't get on teslaFi) on my vehicle through Tesla's debug port and FleetCarma's C2 device, much of what TeslaFi collects is redundant. It's been radio silence, and there are a good number of us with the same issue. I'll likely disable TeslaFi until the issues can be worked out, or the dev will be willing to work with us to address it.

Unfortunately, none of the recommendations have made a difference for me. Since I'm already collecting stats (some of which I can't get on teslaFi) on my vehicle through Tesla's debug port and FleetCarma's C2 device, much of what TeslaFi collects is redundant. It's been radio silence, and there are a good number of us with the same issue. I'll likely disable TeslaFi until the issues can be worked out, or the dev will be willing to work with us to address it.

Teslafi + 2019.8.5 is going to sleep fine here. And I even have time to try sleeping and idle before trying cranked down more aggressively than the defaults (I use 15 min / 10 min idle). I can't help but think it's something else that may be keeping your car awake.

If you haven't already, please read this:
My vehicle is not sleeping! / Knowledge base / TeslaFi

It outlines settings required to make the car sleep when using TeslaFi, including in-car settings. Some of these vary from one release to another and from one car to another. One in-car feature which I needed to disable was the Tesla's cabin overheat protection feature. (At least, I did turn it off after reading that page. I haven't tried it with that feature enabled, so maybe it would actually work.)

FWIW, I have overheat protection turned on and teslafi + 2019.8.5 is sleeping fine here. (I've even recorded wakeups, air conditioning and then going back to sleep via teslafi).

I believe there is an interaction with TeslaFi and recent versions of firmware. This began the night I installed 2019.5.15 and is continuing in the 2019.8.x release. I opened a bug report with TeslaFi more than three weeks ago, and other users have also reported a similar issue on the thread I started in their forum. The car will eventually sleep, but it takes a number of hours (sometimes up to 5). Previously, it would fall asleep within 30-45 minutes of parking. No response yet from TeslaFi.
What about just turning off the "logging enabled" checkbox in your TeslaFi account settings to test if your theory of TeslaFi is correct?

I have been trying On WIFI and Off WIFI for weeks. One minute I think it helps and next it doesn't.

What I will say is 8.5 has just been the absolute worst. I lose more miles the car sitting in the garage than I do driving.

Sentry mode is off and no Apps.

I thought things would get better as things warmed up.

I spent close to two weeks trying to debug TeslaFi without much luck; as I've stated, the car will eventually fall asleep, but it can take 3-5 hours. I've begun working with an alternative developer (TeslaMon) in hopes that he will pay more attention the customer reports as they arrive (he's got a slack channel and has been responsive). TeslaMon wireframe's are already looking quite good.

I use the Stats app and I also started to notice some unusual battery drain while sitting in my garage. I have a strong wifi signal and Sentry Mode is off. However, for reasons other than our cars downloading new software, i.e 8.4 and 8.5 in the same week, I was showing vampire drain.

3/12: 13 miles in 6.5 hours
3/14: 19 miles in 21 hours
3/15: 24 miles in 21 hours

Then all was fine until:

4/9: 49 miles in 138 hours (5-3/4 days or 8.5 miles per day)
4/11: 18 miles in 20 hours

For the last 3 days, vampire drain is barely noticeable again and I have not tried anything to bring vampire drain back to what has been normal prior to 8.4 and 8.5 software updates.

... I also started getting continuous “charging started” notifications almost every hour....since the 8.5 update. I wonder if it has to do with this as well. I’ll have to see if that stops now that the car is sleeping and have limited vampire drain (from 1mile/hr back to .2mile/hr). ...

I'm not sure whether it is 8.5 related or not. I programmatically extract data using Tesla API and find that charge_energy_added is reset to zero. It may be that the drain is so high that the charger starts a new session? Any way to stop the charge at 90% and not resume until a charge port unlock, lock cycle (remove the cable, reinsert next time we charge)?

I had the same vampire drain rate (1 mi/hr). Tesla did a virtual test and discovered the car was getting pinged every hour. You can isolate this issue by turning off Data Sharing. In my case, turning Data Sharing off stopped the vampire drain. I have three apps I use, Valet for Tesla on macOS, Tesla app and Stats for Tesla on iOS. I ran each app separately and we discovered the Valet for Tesla was the culprit even though I have the polling set to never. I contacted Valet for Tesla so they are aware of the situation.

seems that most of these issues are down to have more than one collector/stat application connected to your account.
With all sleep issues following basic diagnostic steps need to followed - the very first diagnostic step should be to disconnect ALL none Tesla API/dongle/diagnostic options. Prove the baseline, the add single options until the issue reoccurs.

I've not had sleep problems with TeslaFi since last August.

seems that most of these issues are down to have more than one collector/stat application connected to your account.
With all sleep issues following basic diagnostic steps need to followed - the very first diagnostic step should be to disconnect ALL none Tesla API/dongle/diagnostic options. Prove the baseline, the add single options until the issue reoccurs.

I've not had sleep problems with TeslaFi since last August.
Not really, I have my own data collecting script and car still takes a long time to go to sleep even when the server that runs the script is completely powered down. The strange thing is that it only takes a long time to go to sleep at home.

Not really, I have my own data collecting script and car still takes a long time to go to sleep even when the server that runs the script is completely powered down. The strange thing is that it only takes a long time to go to sleep at home.

Is your home the only location that you have your car configured to connect to WiFi? Is it possible there are some transmission tasks that aren't completing right away that is keeping your car awake? This should be relatively easy to determine by monitoring your network traffic originating from your car. My car will typically transmit between 50mb and 900mb of data after a days drive, depending on whether or not I've submitted bug reports, disabled AutoPilot, etc. Just a thought. My sleep problems happen regardless of where my car is parked or whether it is associated with WiFi, and seems to be primarily as a result of TeslaFi.

I'll be disabling TeslaFi again towards the end of the week as its adding a 3-5 hour delay in sleep cycles, and leaving my car on up to 10 additional hours a day.

Is your home the only location that you have your car configured to connect to WiFi? Is it possible there are some transmission tasks that aren't completing right away that is keeping your car awake? This should be relatively easy to determine by monitoring your network traffic originating from your car. My car will typically transmit between 50mb and 900mb of data after a days drive, depending on whether or not I've submitted bug reports, disabled AutoPilot, etc. Just a thought. My sleep problems happen regardless of where my car is parked or whether it is associated with WiFi, and seems to be primarily as a result of TeslaFi.

I'll be disabling TeslaFi again towards the end of the week as its adding a 3-5 hour delay in sleep cycles, and leaving my car on up to 10 additional hours a day.
Yes, only connect to WiFi at home and yes, wifi seams to be one source. Disabled wifi and car went to sleep in about an hour instead io the usual 2+ hours

Next I have to try turning the off the router so there is no wifi signal at all and see if it goes to sleep as fast as when I park away from home.

Has anyone tried disabling the data sharing that uploads video and other info for autopilot improvements? There are privacy settings in the car that let it be disabled. It’s likely that those uploads only happen when on WiFi, which may explain the high vampire drain when WiFi is connected.

Reactions: apacheguy
I've just seen this problem for the first time today. Then, when I happened to be checking TeslaFi on my computer, with my cell phone in hand, the problem vanished. As my computer is further from my car than where I normally leave my cell phone, I wonder if I might have gone far enough to completely break the Bluetooth connection, and that a minimal Bluetooth link might be the culprit. I'm highly skeptical of this explanation myself, since the distance from my phone to my car wasn't any greater through most of the day than it's been in the past, when I have not had this problem; but I thought I'd toss it out as a (remote) possibility.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Has anyone tried disabling the data sharing that uploads video and other info for autopilot improvements? There are privacy settings in the car that let it be disabled. It’s likely that those uploads only happen when on WiFi, which may explain the high vampire drain when WiFi is connected.

^this. Tesla queues up log uploads for when the vehicle is on WiFi. They are really doing a disservice to the customer and efficiency in general by keeping the car awake when it should be sleeping.