Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not going to sleep + excessive vampire drain while connected to wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^this. Tesla queues up log uploads for when the vehicle is on WiFi. They are really doing a disservice to the customer and efficiency in general by keeping the car awake when it should be sleeping.

Keep in mind, that over a broadband connection, transferring 50mb of data (which seems to be above my average transfer rate on a normal day with no debug data to send) should only take a few seconds. Even on my heaviest days at 900mb of data, things seem to transfer over to Tesla's Amazon S3 buckets within about 15-30 minutes. It's hard to know what's actually happening in these specific cases without taking a closer look at the network transfer logs. If one does not have a broadband router with layer-7 analysis capabilities (very few do), one possibility is to enable network sharing (via WiFi - just for your Tesla) from a wired machine and run a network capture software package (with Wireshark). Realizing this is getting a bit into the bits-and-bytes, someone on the forum may be able to help look at the logs.

Has anyone tried disabling the data sharing that uploads video and other info for autopilot improvements? There are privacy settings in the car that let it be disabled. It’s likely that those uploads only happen when on WiFi, which may explain the high vampire drain when WiFi is connected.
I can also confirm this what is causing the car not to sleep when connected to Wifi.

I can also confirm this what is causing the car not to sleep when connected to Wifi.

I tried shutting that off eons ago. No difference.

Any way here is yet another update.

I certainly have had better luck with WIFI Off than On but it’s not consistent.

After each update I give it another shot of leaving WIFI On. I received 2019.8.5. I’ve been recently charging once a week on weekends. And I try to catch the better solar day when I do. And it’s typically about a 150 mile charge. My charge Saturday around 6 pm.

Turns out I did use the car until Wednesday. It lost 50 freakin miles !!! Just awful. I was so disgusted I didn’t even care any more. That’s about how miles it should be down if I drove it every day !!

I was about to remove from WiFi and noticed the WIFI signal was weak (1 bar). It should not be weak. The router is mounted on the wall adjacent to the garage.

I set my router up with two SSIDs. One for 2.4ghz and one for 5.0ghz. It was on 2.4ghz. I use 2.4ghz if I want a strong signal and don’t care and bandwidth.

For grins I put it on 5.0ghz and it went from 1 bar to 4 bars. Same deal this week. Charge finished around 5 pm Sunday. I was out with the flu this week and the car has sat all week.

It dropped 4 miles in 4 days.

Was it the change I made on WIFI, who the F knows. I also don’t know what it will do when it gets to work with no WiFi again.

But I did learn is it can behave while on WIFI.

ADSL connection completely jammed once I come home, ping times 1000 to 1600 ms (usually 30), for up to hours.
This makes the house network (usually good enough for us) unusable.
Also motors running during that time, and similar 1%/hour power drain.

No apps (just Tesla app), scripts, etc. Was briefly trying out a logging app (sorry don't remember), but that expired a month ago or more.

If I turn off Wifi, the ping time drops immediately. If someone else's info of "1 GB" upload, that can explain it.

It would be nice if T3 would throttle upload to 50-80% of upload bandwidth. We don't all have fiber at home :)

Thanks!

T3 Nov 2018

ADSL connection completely jammed once I come home, ping times 1000 to 1600 ms (usually 30), for up to hours.
This makes the house network (usually good enough for us) unusable.
Also motors running during that time, and similar 1%/hour power drain.

I suggest you start a new thread on this problem. My initial thought is that either your car's network settings are not correct, or something else on your network is misconfigured, causing some sort of conflict -- maybe two systems (presumably the car and something else) with the same IP address, or the car flooding your network with data for some reason.

When you start a new thread, post photos of your car's network configuration screen and provide details about your home network, such as what brand and model of WiFi hot spot/router you have and if you're using default settings or have changed anything.

I have a similar issue, something to do with Wifi average signal and TeslaFi.

The "Polling is disabled while the car is trying to be put to sleep." doesn't show unless I disconnect the wifi then the car sleeps, my question is why is TeslaFi not trying to put the car to sleep until this point? I suspect its because the car is doing something on the wifi but can't be sure?