Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not keeping charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I keep my car plugged in all the time at home with it set to 80% when plugged in in happily charges to that percentage.

If I leave the car for a few days the percentage drops (vampire drain plus I use sentry) I was expecting the car to keep trickle charging so it stays at 80%.

Since I last drove then plugged it back it topped it up to 80% then it dropped 8% over three days.

No schedules set in either the car or charger

My charger states the car has stopped charging when it gets to 80%, is there a setting that I have missed to ensure that it maintains the required percentage, I have delved into the menu on the car and app and can’t see anything?

if There is no schedule the car should constantly try to top the car up to the specified percentage.
is it possible the charger is shutting down and not offering power to the car after not being used for a while?
If you go on the app and change the slider does the car start to charge?

if There is no schedule the car should constantly try to top the car up to the specified percentage.
is it possible the charger is shutting down and not offering power to the car after not being used for a while?
If you go on the app and change the slider does the car start to charge?
Nope if I move the slider to say 90% it won't start charging unless I physically remove the charger and plug it back

Nope if I move the slider to say 90% it won't start charging unless I physically remove the charger and plug it back
in that case it looks like the car and charger are not handshaking correctly. Works when you plug it in but then by the time it comes to re-start the charge a long time later they are no longer communicating. Maybe the charger goes to sleep and only wakes up when you unplug and re-plug. I have heard of this sort of issue before. You may be able to find other threads on the subject if you look hard enough but it was a while back. M3 charge protocols used to be a bit dodgy but I thought they were all sorted now?
What sort of charger is it?

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Thanks all, I had a play with the charger settings and found one hidden in the depths (standalone charger) I have changed it and I think fingers crossed that seems to be working - it now charges if I fiddle with the slider so I think i cracked it :)

Thanks all, I had a play with the charger settings and found one hidden in the depths (standalone charger) I have changed it and I think fingers crossed that seems to be working - it now charges if I fiddle with the slider so I think i cracked it :)
This will be a great opportunity to help others who have the Zaptec charge point by posting the details once you have confirmed that your new settings are indeed working as expected. I don't recall the Zaptec Go having a mention on the forum before.

Reactions: rpgpgmr and Jason71