Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car not locking at home, without "exclude home" enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
has anyone else seen this happen lately? I don't know exactly when it started, but over the last few days I have noticed that my car isn't locking in the garage even though I don't have the setting to exclude home from walk away lock enabled (I double checked it today, it's still un-checked). it does still seem to be locking everywhere else when I double check it, but not at home. this isn't an issue when I park in the garage, but on those few occasions where I park in the driveway it could be a very big issue...

Where do you keep your phone in relation to your car at home? Also, what phone do you have?

Maybe coincidence, but iPhone just got a software update - maybe increased Bluetooth range in someway or something like that?

I had the reverse, car started locking at home when I didn’t want it to. There was also a Tesla update recently and I think it was due to that. I ended up having to reenable the exclusion to get it working correctly.

Reactions: bobby g
has anyone else seen this happen lately? I don't know exactly when it started, but over the last few days I have noticed that my car isn't locking in the garage even though I don't have the setting to exclude home from walk away lock enabled (I double checked it today, it's still un-checked). it does still seem to be locking everywhere else when I double check it, but not at home. this isn't an issue when I park in the garage, but on those few occasions where I park in the driveway it could be a very big issue...

Maybe your phone remains too close to the car. Often, in the morning my phone does not want to connect to the car and the car picks up my wife's phone.

Good idea. My phone shows connected to car in most of my house and won't lock

this has no bearing on whether or not the car locks. there are plenty of times my car has locked in the garage and the phone still says connected.

Easy enough test to try turning off the bluetooth on your phone and see if the car locks. (or turn on airplane mode, or turn off the phone)

i'm not sure this would actually work - if anything it might cause the reverse. if you turn off bluetooth, your key is no longer connected to the car. if there's no bluetooth key connected to the car, walk away lock doesn't work.

Where do you keep your phone in relation to your car at home? Also, what phone do you have?

Maybe coincidence, but iPhone just got a software update - maybe increased Bluetooth range in someway or something like that?

I had the reverse, car started locking at home when I didn’t want it to. There was also a Tesla update recently and I think it was due to that. I ended up having to reenable the exclusion to get it working correctly.

Maybe your phone remains too close to the car. Often, in the morning my phone does not want to connect to the car and the car picks up my wife's phone.

i don't think this is it either, i haven't been doing anything differently from what i've always done since i started noticing this happening. my phone key has always said "connected" to the car throughout my house for the entire 2.5 years i've had the car, and i've never had a problem with it not locking until now.

one thing i have noticed since i started paying more attention, is that it seems to happen if i come home with something in the frunk or trunk (and so i pop them open before exiting the car). if i do that, the car doesn't lock...if i just get out of the car and walk into the house, it does lock.

that actually presents an even larger issue: will this happen if i'm at a store and i open the trunk to get my reusable shopping bags out, then walk into a store?