Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not reading TPMS after swapping wheels & tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This past weekend I swapped in my track wheels and tires for a track day. Drove for several miles like normal and the car never picked up the sensors in them, eventually gave me the TPMS fault error.

The sensors are single frequency 433mhz, and worked correctly last time I had them on, back in late August. After receiving the TPMS error Saturday, I took the car by Discount and the guy there was able to "ping" and get good readings from all 4 sensors using his TPMS programmer. Car still wouldn't pick them up.

When I put the factory 20s back on, the error message cleared before I even backed out of the driveway, and the pressures displayed within a mile or two.

Did the process for reading new/changed sensors change in a recent software update or something? Anyone have any ideas why a set of sensors that worked fine previously, and were able to be read by a programmer, would not be found by the car, even after driving for 100+ miles?

IIRC it can take up to 25 miles for the TPMS to reset.

I swapped a buddy's loose 20" onto my car a couple weeks ago since I had a flat at night. The TPMS auto-magically finally reset on the following morning's commute w/o me having to do anything.

After I swapped Friday afternoon, I did a couple of short (1-2 mile) drives at slow speeds to pick my daughter up from school, then let the car sit overnight...figuring the 40 mile trip to the track would be sufficient the next morning. I wonder if that had anything to do with it failing to pick up the change... Maybe I need to go for a longer drive right after swapping next time, and not let it sit until the new sensors have registered.

The sensors are single frequency 433mhz, and worked correctly last time I had them on, back in late August. After receiving the TPMS error Saturday, I took the car by Discount and the guy there was able to "ping" and get good readings from all 4 sensors using his TPMS programmer. Car still wouldn't pick them up.

What brand sensors are you using for your track setup ?