Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Not Sleeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long after a drive does the car go to sleep on average when the car is parked at home (no sentry on)?

I just started using teslafi and noticed that when parked at home I get automated emails from teslafi telling me the car is trying to go to sleep and then follow up emails that it failed. This goes on for hours and then finally the car goes to sleep. I’m unsure if this is because the M3 is uploading Data to Tesla or perhaps teslafi is interfering or something else.

I Have tweaked teslafi setting many times to ensure it’s not interfering but want to know if anyone has any idea of what an average amount of time after a drive that the car will go to sleep at home to see if this is abnormal or not

Thanks

How long after a drive does the car go to sleep on average when the car is parked at home (no sentry on)?

I just started using teslafi and noticed that when parked at home I get automated emails from teslafi telling me the car is trying to go to sleep and then follow up emails that it failed. This goes on for hours and then finally the car goes to sleep. I’m unsure if this is because the M3 is uploading Data to Tesla or perhaps teslafi is interfering or something else.

I Have tweaked teslafi setting many times to ensure it’s not interfering but want to know if anyone has any idea of what an average amount of time after a drive that the car will go to sleep at home to see if this is abnormal or not

Thanks
I turn off hvac, radio on mute, no sentry mode, smart summon off, my 3 usually sleeps within an hour.

If I ‘forget’ any available Wi-Fi networks so the car won’t auto connect, it sleeps within minutes just about all the time. Usually 2-10 minutes, it’s just about always sleeping even if I’m in a store a few minutes the app needs to wake it. With Wi-Fi connected, it tends to be awake for 2 hours every time I open the door, which is absurdly ridiculous and means it uses a few percent every day for no apparent reason or benefit. They have a nag screen that comes up frequently ‘reminding’ you to connect to WiFi.

New here trying to grasp my model 3 P with TeslaFi, Stats, and Sentry Mode.

Just to make sure Im on the right track... I use sentry mode always because i live in a high traffic beach town with the car always outside (carport behind the garage.)

i.e. My car will never sleep because of Sentry mode, so all this sleep stuff is a moot point, correct? I’m just going lose a bit more energy than someone that’s able to get their car to sleep.

ie sleep = energy conservation

New here trying to grasp my model 3 P with TeslaFi, Stats, and Sentry Mode.

Just to make sure Im on the right track... I use sentry mode always because i live in a high traffic beach town with the car always outside (carport behind the garage.)

i.e. My car will never sleep because of Sentry mode, so all this sleep stuff is a moot point, correct? I’m just going lose a bit more energy than someone that’s able to get their car to sleep.

ie sleep = energy conservation

Thats correct, but it depends on what you consider "a bit" more energy. Sentry mode will use 1-2 miles an hour. You are going to "lose" about 24-30 ish miles of range every day with the car just sitting there in park with sentry mode on. If you need to use it, you need to use it, but just understand that if you park outside, and dont have the car plugged in, and dont go anywhere for 3 days, the car will have 60-80 miles less range than when you parked.

With the car able to sleep, most people lose between 2-5 miles a day, so the difference is 2-5 miles a day lost, vs 24-30 (ish) miles a day lost, so yes if you consider that "a bit" then thats correct.

What I am looking to understand is when the car is home connected to WiFi what is it doing from an upload/download perspective?

I’m trying to track or log what the car is doing while on WiFi to correlate to the sleep pattern.

I’m noticing it takes ~2 hours to go to sleep.

After updating to the latest version, my car cannot sleep either. Not sure what the reason is. Prior to the update, my car can normally go to sleep. I don't use any third-party app such as TeslaFi, already turn off the AC and cabin heat protection and never activate the sentry mode.