Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not unlocking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PLEASE HELP > Vehicle not unlocking with mobile. App is suddenly asking me to pair the key cards even though I used the car few hours before it stopped working. Tesla app is saying that the car was last seen 3 days back even though I used it several times in the past 3 days. Both key cards are locked with in the car. Both original Key fob not working with clicks or placing in the pillar. Car cannot be woken up by tesla phone support or roadside assistance. Car is charging but stuck on 120v charger. Having a hard time contacting service center. Cannot believe that this happens to a new 100k Model S

250 miles
You got enough miles so we cannot blame the main battery pack for this incident.

It might be the new 12V Lithium software problem.

I just got this car. Can this be replaced under warranty?
Yes. Just call the Roadside Assistance number (877-798-3752) and they'll take care of it. Everything will be free. Free 12V jumper. Free Towing to Service Center. Free diagnosis and fix the problem of why this happened.

Thank you very much. I see online that the car issues warning notification before 12V battery fails. I did not receive any notifications before I got out of the car. I am sure that there is something wrong with their battery quality in addition to software issues because my car is new.

Do they provide rental reimbursement until service appointment? I cannot find any appointments in the next few weeks in my area.

I had couple of trips to their service center for airbag recalls and noise issues. People in service are not generally nice to most of the customers there. Do you think the service mechanic person in Tesla service center could have swapped to poor batteries during one of those visits?

Thanks again

...I did not receive any notifications before I got out of the car...
Welcome to Tesla technology.

Tesla used to use a conventional 12V lead-acid battery but people complain it dies too often like as soon as 1 year or 2.

Now, it has just switched to 12V Lithium battery which, in theory, it should be better.

However, in reality, there's might be some bugs to work out with the implementation.

They'll fix it for you and hopefully, it'll be much better than the lead-acid system so you won't have to worry for the next 4 years or more.

Do they provide rental reimbursement until service appointment?
They used to give you a loaner. If they are out, they used to pay for our rental like Enterprise...

But lately, they just give us a credit on Uber. So you need to download your Uber app and use that credit. Just call Service Center when you need more Uber credit.

I cannot find any appointments in the next few weeks in my area.
You don't need an appointment when your car is disabled/non-driveable which is happening now.

You can call the Roadside Assistance number (877-798-3752) any time 24/7 like right now, in the middle of the night and they'll try to fix the car so your car can be moving again (either on its own driven by you or by towing to Service Center).

...swapped to poor batteries during one of those visits?...
It's up to the Service Center's diagnosis. If the 12V Lithium battery is still good, they won't give you a new one. If it is bad, they will replace it with a brand new one.

What is also important is: What caused the 12V battery to die? Most likely it's a software problem and they'll fix it for you.