Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not waking up via app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had the 'not waking' problem for a few days, and it still wasn't working first thing today, but I took the car out to go shopping this morning and that seems to have fixed it. So if you are still having problems, pop out for a drive (but only to get essentials ;))

Followed your advice and the last 3 times I’ve tried to wake my car since it’s worked. Hope it’s finally fixed after a week.
Wasn't able to wake the car up with the app for the first time today but this coincided with turning sentry mode off which must have put it into a deep sleep. Closing the app and restarting it allowed me to connect the second time.

Car has barely moved since I picked it up last week however I have had sentry mode running non-stop until I decided to turn it off this morning. With sentry mode activated (keeping the car awake) the app has never failed.

These are the logs from today:

2020-03-27 17_23_03-TeslaFi.png

After deactivating sentry at 9.48am the car slept for 6 hours and 14 mins until I tried to wake it, first time unsuccessfully, second time successfully.

Maybe anecdotal?

I've been having this exact problem for about a week now. Model 3. At home it's parked exactly where it has always been parked and has WiFi and LTE connectivity. But the app cannot wake the car up except when I'm close enough to use the app to unlock and then lock the car (which I can do from my kitchen). Then the app connects no problem.

I've done all the usual: re-booted the car, restarted my phone etc and nothing works. It does look like a problem with either the servers or the car software (version 2020.8.1).

Wasn't able to wake the car up with the app for the first time today but this coincided with turning sentry mode off which must have put it into a deep sleep. Closing the app and restarting it allowed me to connect the second time.

Car has barely moved since I picked it up last week however I have had sentry mode running non-stop until I decided to turn it off this morning. With sentry mode activated (keeping the car awake) the app has never failed.

These are the logs from today:

View attachment 526435
After deactivating sentry at 9.48am the car slept for 6 hours and 14 mins until I tried to wake it, first time unsuccessfully, second time successfully.

Maybe anecdotal?
That's pretty normal. Sentry keeps it fully awake so it will always respond quickly. but its an expensive solution if you keep it in Sentry only for this reason. Taking a couple of attempts to wake up is also not unusual. I think it happens to most people from time to time. Certainly does to me. but I have not had the completely unable to wake the car via app issue that the guys on this thread are experiencing. Thats another level.

Car was delivered by Heathrow guys last Wednesday. I thought it was a good idea to leave it untouched for a few days as I'm not going anywhere and I couldn't connect to it by the app. Now it does show up on the app (and has 223 miles in the tank). Haven't noticed any physical problems at the moment.
First thing to do 'authenticate phone'. Enabled 'mobile access' in car, and touch PHONE KEY on app and no response (manual says touch START). Tried switching BT off/on (it's always on - talks to the Toyota ok), reboot iPhone. Does the app ever display anything other than 'Enable Bluetooth to use your phone as a key' by the 'PHONE KEY' option ?
Spoke to Tesla they said report the problem via 'Schedule Service'.
Maybe someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks

Interesting thread as I too received a delivery from Heathrow (Friday 3rd April) and have had intermittent connection ever since - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't but I notice that every morning after disabling Sentry it is always a struggle to connect but generally better later in the afternoon. Still erratic though so at least it isn't just my new car.

I've spent a lot of time in California at my Daughters house for the past 4 years and not once have I ever had an issue with any Tesla, ether an X or 3. In fact we had to come back early just over a week ago and during the first 10 days of this thread used my app on her cars without issue on several occasions. To 'prove' it I just logged into her Model 3 using the mobile app (it's 10am there and sat unused for 3 days) - it responded instantly without having been on Sentry mode so maybe something Tesla UK related?

• Informative
Reactions: GoTLSAGo
I've been having this exact problem for about a week now. Model 3. At home it's parked exactly where it has always been parked and has WiFi and LTE connectivity. But the app cannot wake the car up except when I'm close enough to use the app to unlock and then lock the car (which I can do from my kitchen). Then the app connects no problem.

I've done all the usual: re-booted the car, restarted my phone etc and nothing works. It does look like a problem with either the servers or the car software (version 2020.8.1).

Yesterday software update (to version 2020.12.5) was stuck about halfway through. Managed to get the update by re-booting the car.

So now with version 2020.12.5 still cannot wake up the car with the app unless I unlock the car first from the app. But for that I need to be near the car which defeats the whole purpose of having remote access to the car. I will call Tesla and see what they say...

Yesterday software update (to version 2020.12.5) was stuck about halfway through. Managed to get the update by re-booting the car.

So now with version 2020.12.5 still cannot wake up the car with the app unless I unlock the car first from the app. But for that I need to be near the car which defeats the whole purpose of having remote access to the car. I will call Tesla and see what they say...

It's server side for sure so nothing to do with the mobile app or the software version on the car. It's worth logging with Tesla so that they get the scale of the issue but I don't think they do anything practical to fix it.