Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car off. does not take charge. does not start.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help! I left my Tesla S with a charge 20 mi in the garage not connected to charging. The temperature dropped below -3 c. When I returned after 2 days, a blue snowflake appeared, the car was in "car off" mode. It does not turn on and does not charge.
first it showed at 0 kilometers of charge, now at 62 km, but does not go. how can i wake up and charge my car?

Attachments

• изображение_viber_2020-01-08_15-37-33.jpg
    изображение_viber_2020-01-08_15-37-33.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 110
  • изображение_viber_2020-01-08_15-37-34.jpg
    изображение_viber_2020-01-08_15-37-34.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 81
  • изображение_viber_2020-01-08_15-37-34.jpg
    изображение_viber_2020-01-08_15-37-34.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 76
First, try unplugging it temporarily, then pressing on the brake pedal to start it up, then plug the car back in. What version of software are you on? I'm on 2019.40.2.1 and have had issues with scheduled charging causing the car to do a shutdown instead of charging.

Part of what I'm seeing on your screens is that the battery pack needs to warm up first before charging will commence in earnest (that's what the snowflake means). If you're charging it at a low voltage and amperage, the car may just consume that just to keep the battery pack warm (I'm seeing 110V/12A - correct?). You might need more power to do it. That said, you do actually have 62 on the pack which possibly indicates you are charging.

Last edited:
First, try unplugging it temporarily, then pressing on the brake pedal to start it up, then plug the car back in. What version of software are you on? I'm on 2019.40.2.1 and have had issues with scheduled charging causing the car to do a shutdown instead of charging.

Part of what I'm seeing on your screens is that the battery pack needs to warm up first before charging will commence in earnest (that's what the snowflake means). If you're charging it at a low voltage and amperage, the car may just consume that just to keep the battery pack warm (I'm seeing 110V/12A - correct?). You might need more power to do it. That said, you do actually have 62 on the pack which possibly indicates you are charging.

My version 2017.50.2 3bd9f6d. I turned off the charger. and already the car cannot be connected to charging. The charging port is black. the “unlock charging port” button is inactive. and brake pedal doesn't start car

My version 2017.50.2 3bd9f6d. I turned off the charger. and already the car cannot be connected to charging. The charging port is black. the “unlock charging port” button is inactive. and brake pedal doesn't start car

I'm a bit confused. Did you unplug the charger from power, then try to remove the charger plug from the car? Getting the charger unplugged is the first issue. Try plugging the charger back into your wall socket, then go about removing it.

Are any of the screens up and active? If so, any messages? I've had to press and hold the brake pedal until the car boots up.

...how can i wake up and charge my car?

Your car displays confirm that your car is already woken up.

So the issue is how to charge your car.

First, make sure you got proper displays. I see your temperature displays as ---C with no digital number. That might be an indication that you need to reboot your car by holding two thumbwheels on the steering wheel down and pushing your brake pedal until your central display blackout and restart again. Do that again on your two buttons above those two thumbwheels on the steering wheel for your Instrument Cluster Display.

If you still don't get a numerical display on your temperature, it's time for expert help.

Once all the display information is back to normal, you can unplug and re-plug to attempt to recharge your battery again and again.

Your battery needs to be warmed up so the charge is restricted until it's all warmed up.

Once your battery is all warmed up and repeated unplugging and re-plugging to recharge doesn't help, then it's time for expert help.

By now you should know that a low State of Charge is not good for your batter health. A 0% state of charge can result in permanent battery damage and it might not be recharged at all.

Also, your car needs enough energy to heat up your battery in cold weather so it is a good idea to plug it in if you don't have enough charge left for the battery heater (20 miles left is definitely not enough power for your battery heater. No way!)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I'm a bit confused. Did you unplug the charger from power, then try to remove the charger plug from the car? Getting the charger unplugged is the first issue. Try plugging the charger back into your wall socket, then go about removing it.

Are any of the screens up and active? If so, any messages? I've had to press and hold the brake pedal until the car boots up.
Thank you for answer. today my tesla wake up. i drive it to warm garage. but i can't charge it.

Attachments

• 1l.jpg
    1l.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 2l.jpg
    2l.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 3l.jpg
    3l.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 4l.jpg
    4l.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 5l.jpg
    5l.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 79
Thank you for answer. today my tesla wake up. i drive it to warm garage. but i can't charge it.

So, from the images you sent, it's looking like the charger may be at fault. Is this a wall mount or the one stored in the trunk when you get the car? Either way, you might as well contact service and get it looked at. The other thing to do is to try to ensure you push the charger handle fully into the car, but the message is saying there's a problem with the charger.

Your car displays confirm that your car is already woken up.

So the issue is how to charge your car.

First, make sure you got proper displays. I see your temperature displays as ---C with no digital number. That might be an indication that you need to reboot your car by holding two thumbwheels on the steering wheel down and pushing your brake pedal until your central display blackout and restart again. Do that again on your two buttons above those two thumbwheels on the steering wheel for your Instrument Cluster Display.

If you still don't get a numerical display on your temperature, it's time for expert help.

Once all the display information is back to normal, you can unplug and re-plug to attempt to recharge your battery again and again.

Your battery needs to be warmed up so the charge is restricted until it's all warmed up.

Once your battery is all warmed up and repeated unplugging and re-plugging to recharge doesn't help, then it's time for expert help.

By now you should know that a low State of Charge is not good for your batter health. A 0% state of charge can result in permanent battery damage and it might not be recharged at all.

Also, your car needs enough energy to heat up your battery in cold weather so it is a good idea to plug it in if you don't have enough charge left for the battery heater (20 miles left is definitely not enough power for your battery heater. No way!)
Thank you for answer. today my tesla wake up. i drive it to warm garage. but i can't charge it. car show massage "ready to charge" , then i plug chaeger and charging window become red. and car show this message:

Attachments

• 1l.jpg
    1l.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 2l.jpg
    2l.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 3l.jpg
    3l.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 4l.jpg
    4l.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 70
Your instrument display seems to be fine now because it displays a digital number 1C for the temperature.

Now, you need to diagnose and fix any problem with the charging equipment.

Today the situation has changed again. the car is in a warm garage. on the display, the temperature rose to 12. the snowflake disappeared. charging does not go. first asks "ready to charge." when I insert the charger - it says "charging is complete." charge level increased to 132 km

Attachments

• изображение_viber_2020-01-10_23-06-33.jpg
    изображение_viber_2020-01-10_23-06-33.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 63
I"m as confused. How did the car go from 0 to 62 if you are saying it did not charge? Try to leaving it on charge for an extended period of time. Is there a supercharger near by? Give that a try.
Today the situation has changed again. the car is in a warm garage. on the display, the temperature rose to 12. the snowflake disappeared. charging does not go. first asks "ready to charge." when I insert the charger - it says "charging is complete." charge level increased to 132 km. there is no supercharger near by. only plug 30A

I maked all resets.. Today the situation has changed again. the car is in a warm garage. on the display, the temperature rose to 12. the snowflake disappeared. charging does not go. first asks "ready to charge." when I insert the charger - it says "charging is complete." charge level increased to 132 km

Attachments

206.7 KB · Views: 58
    206.7 KB · Views: 61
I am not sure if support in Ukraine is good, but please contact Tesla and they will try to help.

Are there any Superchargers in the area? Maybe something is wrong with your AC-DC converter and it cannot charge from AC.

Your last picture seems to show a 55% battery at 134km, that seems low for an S60.

Contact Tesla and see what they say.

Has anyone tried to set the battery heater on by either setting SuC as destination or using the +drive battery heat conditioner. I think heating the battery will benefit this situation. Especially if someone condensation got into the pack. I doubt that could happen but I certainly think that it couldn't hurt. What are you charging with? A wall connector. You might could also try attaching 12V charger on the front jumpers under the nose cone. A cold 12v might make it difficult to close the contacts to charge.

...condensation got into the pack...

The pack temperature is controlled by the liquid system. The pack is sealed.

....also try attaching 12V charger on the front jumpers under the nose cone. A cold 12v might make it difficult to close the contacts to charge.

If the 12V was dead, you wouldn't be able to see the 2 screens as shown on this thread.

If the 12V was weak, you would see a 12V message on the screens.