TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car on in closed garage

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by MidwestMX, May 24, 2018.

1. MidwestMX

MidwestMX Member

Might be a silly question but wondering if I can run the car/ preheat with heater or cooler on in garage with door closed? I know there isn’t any exhaust like on an ICE vehicle but wondering if there is anything else that would be dangerous to run the Tesla while in a closed garage.

2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

nope. run your car in a closed garage all you like. In the Tesla showrooms, the cars are technically on as well inside a closed building, and most if not all deliveries are done inside a closed building as well.

• Like x 2
  3. MidwestMX

MidwestMX Member

Great to hear! Thank you for the info.

4. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Your car will also run on its own too. If you have overheat protection on, or if your garage gets too hot it can kick on to cool the battery. No concerns with it. No combustion means no carbon monoxide.

• Like x 1
  5. TTMDLX

TTMDLX Member

I'm in Chicago and you need to either pre-heat in the winter or pre-cool in the summer in my non-heated/cooled unventilated garage. No problem with doors closed and all are still living in my household.

• Funny x 1
  6. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

I bet if it catches fire by itself in your garage, you can claim millions dollar from Tesla’s insurance haha.

• Disagree x 1
  7. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

No risk in the cold. In theory, if the garage is tight enough and hot enough, precooling with the garage closed could create problems, as the car tries to dump more and more heat into the garage environment to keep the interior and battery pack cool, causing the garage temperature to go up higher and higher. In practice I don't think anyone has seen a real issue with this, either.

• Like x 1