Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car on in closed garage

MidwestMX

Dec 24, 2017
Midwest
Might be a silly question but wondering if I can run the car/ preheat with heater or cooler on in garage with door closed? I know there isn’t any exhaust like on an ICE vehicle but wondering if there is anything else that would be dangerous to run the Tesla while in a closed garage.

Yinn

Nov 15, 2016
Behind you
Your car will also run on its own too. If you have overheat protection on, or if your garage gets too hot it can kick on to cool the battery. No concerns with it. No combustion means no carbon monoxide.

Reactions: Kacey Green

TTMDLX

Feb 9, 2016
United States
I'm in Chicago and you need to either pre-heat in the winter or pre-cool in the summer in my non-heated/cooled unventilated garage. No problem with doors closed and all are still living in my household.

• Funny
Reactions: jboy210

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
No risk in the cold. In theory, if the garage is tight enough and hot enough, precooling with the garage closed could create problems, as the car tries to dump more and more heat into the garage environment to keep the interior and battery pack cool, causing the garage temperature to go up higher and higher. In practice I don't think anyone has seen a real issue with this, either.

Reactions: Kacey Green

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC