Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car overcharging whenever servers are down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boaterva

Supporting Member
This morning (May 8) for the third time my car overcharged and it’s happened once again when the Tesla servers were down. The last time two weeks ago it happened, and it also did it once after an update.

I can dismiss the firmware update as needing a reboot perhaps but doing it twice when servers are down seems a bit coincidental. It overcharges and then catches itself and stops. Last time it was to 93%. This time today to 83%. Normally a full charge is 80%.

Makes no sense as you’d think for charging there is no connection to the mothership unless the car is ‘distracted’ and not paying attention. :D

It has never ‘overcharged’ normally. Ever. So, very weird. Anyone else?

(Posting in the S forum as getting a lot more visibility.... this isn’t really model dependent.)

That's really weird. I regularly charge in a place with no cell or wifi signal, and my car has never overcharged.
I think your car is possessed.
Well, I did name her Samantha after 'Bewitched' (aren't all Teslas magic?), so you might be on to something.... :D

Just checking if anyone has seen the like. If this is the worst that happens, I can live with it. Last time, we were going on a road trip the next day anyway. So, it was perfect timing!

• Funny
Reactions: hiroshiy
Well, I did name her Samantha after 'Bewitched' (aren't all Teslas magic?), so you might be on to something.... :D

Just checking if anyone has seen the like. If this is the worst that happens, I can live with it. Last time, we were going on a road trip the next day anyway. So, it was perfect timing!
Now you’re really dating yourself with that Bewitched reference! :)
My car always charges to 81%, but I came out this morning to... 83% on the IC. Def didn’t think anything of it. Has never gone 10% over though.

• Funny
Reactions: boaterva
Did Tesla update the SOC to be somewhat temperature compensated recently (or is that just a display/ graphics thing?)? If so, it may a 80% cold/ 83% warm type thing.

Server shouldn't matter for a fixed target.

Did Tesla update the SOC to be somewhat temperature compensated recently (or is that just a display/ graphics thing?)? If so, it may a 80% cold/ 83% warm type thing.

Server shouldn't matter for a fixed target.
Yeah, I know. But that's exactly what happened. It always goes between 77 and 80, no matter what. These three times: the firmware load, and ten days ago, with the server outage it went to 93% before coming to its senses. (A reboot fixed the firmware instance then on out.) Today, it was only at 83. And it's not a time-dependent thing, either, as both times it was only a few hours before I went to the car and saw it, even though the outage for the servers was a lot longer after that.

Completely strange. I'm just gathering data, and if it's a one-off (only my car), then I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion of the temperature-dependency, but it has never varied (normally) from 77-80, from the cold winter we had here to last couple of weeks when it was 90 F.

Interesting. I did notice a few weeks ago an event where my car appeared to have charged a few percent above the setting. Didn't correlate it with anything else e,g, servers.
Yeah, I especially noted the difference because I couldn't keep tabs on it with the app(s). The first time (ten days ago), I was fiddling with the car before I came here (duh) to see that the mothership was down. And since it never goes outside the 77-80 window normally, it's puzzling.

Now you’re really dating yourself with that Bewitched reference! :)
My car always charges to 81%, but I came out this morning to... 83% on the IC. Def didn’t think anything of it. Has never gone 10% over though.
Hm.... that is interesting if you went over by a couple, also. The real point is deviation from the norm. If it always goes to 81, that's fine. But now an 83, huh.

Yep, will see if this continues or just goes back to my normal 81%.
In the past case (servers down), as soon as the servers were up, and she 'ate up' the extra charge, things returned to normal.

But as was mentioned above, what the heck would the car care when charging that the mothership was there or not? Spending too much time trying to check that it was actually there and getting stuck in some loop? The whole thing makes no sense.

Yeah, I know. But that's exactly what happened. It always goes between 77 and 80, no matter what. These three times: the firmware load, and ten days ago, with the server outage it went to 93% before coming to its senses. (A reboot fixed the firmware instance then on out.) Today, it was only at 83. And it's not a time-dependent thing, either, as both times it was only a few hours before I went to the car and saw it, even though the outage for the servers was a lot longer after that.

Completely strange. I'm just gathering data, and if it's a one-off (only my car), then I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion of the temperature-dependency, but it has never varied (normally) from 77-80, from the cold winter we had here to last couple of weeks when it was 90 F.

Whoops, I missed that the 93% was with a 80% target also. I can think of a few software based scenarios that would do that, mostly related to updates. Thanks for the data point on normal charge accuracy.

I have had this happen twice in the past month. Both times it was significantly over. Both times the car was acting as if it was experiencing a system crash (typical tale-tell signs). My assumption was that the software which monitors the SOC and compares it to your set point, must have been INOP at that time, which allowed the charging circuit to continue doing it's thing, until the system rebooted.