Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car paint defects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have our Model Y for over a month now and decide to protect it with PPF. Spent 2 weeks finding a place we like at a reasonable price, took to the shop today and the owner said I should bring it back to Tesla to fix all the paint issues before the PPF. Below is a list of issues they found:
  • scratches under the paint coating on the hood.
  • missing a few small paint areas on the fenders.
  • bad paint jobs on all 4 doors.
  • rear quarter panels color mismatch.
  • rear bumper color mismatch
We don't even notice any of those issues until the detailer points them out today, and now we can't unsee them. Do you think Tesla will fix all the paint issues after we took delivery for a month? The detailer said all those issues occurred before the final coating, so definitely a bad paint job by Tesla.

Have our Model Y for over a month now and decide to protect it with PPF. Spent 2 weeks finding a place we like at a reasonable price, took to the shop today and the owner said I should bring it back to Tesla to fix all the paint issues before the PPF. Below is a list of issues they found:
We don't even notice any of those issues until the detailer points them out today, and now we can't unsee them. Do you think Tesla will fix all the paint issues after we took delivery for a month? The detailer said all those issues occurred before the final coating, so definitely a bad paint job by Tesla.
I believe the paint falls under a year warranty. I’ll need to double check the warranty paperwork

Within spec. Nothing to see here.

Wrong.

Tesla policy is, all factory paint issues have to be reported within the first 100 miles
Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty applies to repairs that are not provided under goodwill or not otherwise performed by Tesla free of charge, and provides a limited lifetime coverage on body and paint repairs performed by Tesla. The limited lifetime body repair warranty includes repairs for cracking, flaking, pitting, and deterioration of body parts but excludes damage caused by rust. The limited lifetime paint repair warranty includes repairs for peeling and cracking of paint or topcoat, and loss of gloss caused by hazing.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

edit: technically factory paint issues don’t fall under this warranty, so I guess you are correct.

FYI. Took my car to Tesla body repair center 2 weeks ago, they agreed to repaint 2 sides and redo all the alignments. They said the color mismatch on the rear bumper is "within spec". Received a call that my MY will be ready for pickup this Friday.