Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car 'panting' randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I've had my Model S for 5 years and driven 205k miles. Works fine, but recently I noticed that after driving for about 30-50 min the fans at the wheel well radiators are blowing full speed. It has nothing to do with drive style or battery or motor temperature. I monitor those from the CAN bus and all temperatures are within normal numbers. Just out of the blue, the car starts running those fans full blast. The same sometimes happens when I plug in the car at home and start charging. The fans start will speed. Oddly enough the louvers are closed, though. Reaching my hand into the area where the air blows out, it's not very warm. It does so just for 2-3 minutes, then goes back to normal. Again, all temperatures are well within normal.

My car definitely didn't do that before. Anyone else see this on their Model S happen just recently?

I’ve had it happen once or twice when charging at home like you describe. Same symptoms. Nothing about the car particularly hot, louvers closed, but I’ll start charging after a recent drive and the fans turn on to 11 for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: David99