Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Parked Outside temp 68f / Inside 98f. Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sun shines and heats stuff up... don't leave babies or dogs in the car without temperature control. (It's frowned upon to leave babies in the car even with the AC on)

The same thing happens in a greenhouse. Also where the term "greenhouse effect" comes from.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
Power of the sun baby - https://www.worldometers.info/

We're all doomed... a slow slow slow death as a species.

upload_2020-3-13_16-50-44.png

Depends if you have cabin overheat protection turned on...

I'm going to assume having it turned off in my question.

but another question. Living in a hot climate like Florida or Arizona and having the ac running non stop, has anyone had it break? I'd assume having it running non stop for months at a time is not good for it?

I'm going to assume having it turned off in my question.

but another question. Living in a hot climate like Florida or Arizona and having the ac running non stop, has anyone had it break? I'd assume having it running non stop for months at a time is not good for it?

Does your house AC break? Of course, it'll still need regular maintenance. One of the goals is to help keep the electronics cool as well. There are different modes too.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf#page=129

Heat-wise, it'll get as hot as any other car. Adding IR blocking tint will just make it take longer to get to that temp.

Does your house AC break? Of course, it'll still need regular maintenance. One of the goals is to help keep the electronics cool as well. There are different modes too.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf#page=129

Heat-wise, it'll get as hot as any other car. Adding IR blocking tint will just make it take longer to get to that temp.

I feel like house acs wouldn't run as non stop as a car ac would in this comparison. Does anyone live in these hot climates that can chime in so it's not just speculation?

Had a similar situation, 70 degrees outside, went up to 105 inside.sat in the car and felt like no warmer than 75-80. Opened all windows, temperature dropped to 101 and stayed there despite all windows open. It was NOT 100+ in the car, it was 70, was thinking the sun was just heating up the temp probe???

Had a similar situation, 70 degrees outside, went up to 105 inside.sat in the car and felt like no warmer than 75-80. Opened all windows, temperature dropped to 101 and stayed there despite all windows open. It was NOT 100+ in the car, it was 70, was thinking the sun was just heating up the temp probe???

ohhhh so you think maybe that number isn't accurate... Yeah, that sounds more like it to me. I'll have to get a thermometer to test it.

You can’t compare a house to a car. A car is all glass. It is very common for temps to be in the low 70’s and the interior to be over 100. In Florida temps can reach more than 150 degrees in the summer. You need to keep the cabin overheat protection on to protect the interior of the car...especially the display. It is not designed to withstand those extreme temperatures. Get some protection for the windshield, even if just those portable shields that fold up.

Yeah, I was really surprised at the at the temp difference at 4pm... I wonder what temp it gets up to inside the car in Florida at the dead of summer when its 110 outside at 12 noon. ? Anyone know that?

Very hot. Now that I have the Tesla App I will find out exactly how hot. It's one of the reasons I have white car and white interior. I will be visiting the tint shop next week - makes a huge difference in Pensacola.

You can’t compare a house to a car. A car is all glass. It is very common for temps to be in the low 70’s and the interior to be over 100. In Florida temps can reach more than 150 degrees in the summer. You need to keep the cabin overheat protection on to protect the interior of the car...especially the display. It is not designed to withstand those extreme temperatures. Get some protection for the windshield, even if just those portable shields that fold up.

Exactly. That was my point. When someone compared the two.

No, this is not normal. I have my Model 3 for over a year and saw the same thing today. At work, pulled up the app to see how much mileage I had. Saw the exact same thing: 68 degrees outside and 98 degrees in car. I had my car all throughout the summer last year. Never saw that kind of discordance especially when it really wasn’t hot. That was definitely not normal. When I left work a couple hours later, was definitely not 98 degrees inside. Live in northern VA outside of DC.

No, this is not normal. I have my Model 3 for over a year and saw the same thing today. At work, pulled up the app to see how much mileage I had. Saw the exact same thing: 68 degrees outside and 98 degrees in car. I had my car all throughout the summer last year. Never saw that kind of discordance especially when it really wasn’t hot. That was definitely not normal. When I left work a couple hours later, was definitely not 98 degrees inside. Live in northern VA outside of DC.

So you've never gotten into a car on a sunny day in your life and thought, gee it's really fricken hot in here!?

Reactions: Tomc62