Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Photos: The Beautiful, the Ugly, and the Funky

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for fun, I thought I'd start a thread to show off some favorite car photos -- some because they are beautiful, some because they are amazingly ugly, and some that are exotic, funky, or just plain weird.

To kick things off. . .    In a video I saw recently, Martin Eberhard was describing how he wanted an electric car but didn't want to drive around in "a goofy little car".  This is what came to my mind:

Brutsch%20Mopetta.jpg

History here:  http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/mopetta.html

Sting Ray

And now, the beautiful. . .

1968%20corvette%20l88%20f.JPG

1968 Corvette

Can you believe how futuristic this must have looked in 1968?  It still looks fantastic today.  This photo convinced me to switch my Tesla order (for now at least) to Electric Blue.  Now, if only we could get Yokohama to whip up some "red line" tires for the Roadster, that would really be perfect!

The Stingray does look fantastic in orange too. . .

orange_stingray.jpg

YUM!:

1967 Alfa Romeo Tipo/Stradale 33:
33t.jpg

stradale-1024.jpg

1964 ATS 2500:
1964_ats_2500_gts_2.jpg

1964_ats_2500_gts_rear.jpg

1993 Boxster Prototype:
Boxster_prototype_1993_b.jpg

boxster_1993_prototyp_01.jpg

1999 Osca 2500 GT:
osca_2500_gt_04.jpg

osca_2500_gt_08.jpg

osca_2500_gt_07.jpg

WHOA:

1970 Bertone Stratos:
C_BertoneStratosHF.jpg

1970-Bertone-Stratos-Zero-lg.jpg

dscn0318_small1.jpg

==========================================================================================

YIKES!:
siva03.jpg

siva.jpg

titlegraphic.jpg

amcpacer.jpg

mini%204x4%202.jpg

weird_cars_005.jpg

cartooncady.gif

landtug.jpg

Stilletto.jpg

bigcar.jpg

Tony the goofy little cars he is talking about are EVs! Martin's quote calling previous Electric Vehicle incarnations Dork-mobiles refers to all those naked egg frame NEVs (you know it's an ugly car if you put Pamela Anderson in it and it STILL looks dopey)
myers_motors_nmg1.htm (note the quote, "the coolest car in town) [img]

The Impact is arguably in that description as well.

As an owner or ex-owner of at least 3 cars found in the Micro Museum, I don't think it's appropriate to use any ICE cars as an example. I like goofy little cars. Cars that put a smile on people’s faces when you go by. (The street legal versions of the Electric bunny slippers or Muffin floats mentioned in this Tesla blog http://www.teslamotors.com/blog5/ Typically these are fuel saving cars and I admit that some are amateur attempts at car design. But I would not even include the Brütsch Mopetta in a list of poorly designed cars; its clean lines are the epitome of simplicity. I would be thrilled to add one to my collection.

I'm sticking my neck out, and I know people will probably make fun of me for this. . . . But I think another great design is the 1993-1997 Pontiac Firebird. (And the 1998-2002 cars were also similar, but they did something baroque with the nose that I didn't like as much.)

The Pontiac and Camaro of that generation were very striking when they appeared in 1993. If they haven't aged gracefully, I think it's only because they were too successful, and familiarity breeds contempt. That's particularly true in the case of a relatively inexpensive, American-made, not-quite-a-real-sports-car.

tonybelding said:
I'm sticking my neck out, and I know people will probably make fun of me for this. . . . But I think another great design is the 1993-1997 Pontiac Firebird.

Are you a closet "Night Rider Fan"?
david.jpg

kitt_vorne.jpg

How about all the cool, Australian, funky modded cars from Mad Max & Road Warrior?
("The last of the V8s...")
There was a character called "The Night Rider" in those movies.
BlackMFP2.jpg

Click here for jumbo size
http://www.lastinterceptor.com/real.html