Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car plugged in, won't charge and won't sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm away for 3 weeks and now with 2 weeks to go my Model 3 is having battery drain issues. I believe its the L2 charger its connected to. When I first plugged it in it wouldn't charge. Then magically a week later it started to charge. Then a few days after it started to charge it won't charge and won't sleep. I'm losing 5% a day, normally its 1-3% a week when unplugged. Sentry mode is off. Teslafi shows it will sleep one 1 minute then wake up. I disabled Teslafi and still lost 2% overnight. I don't think its Teslafi causing the issue.

I called Tesla support and they basically told me the errors they were showing were 'charger authentication issue' and they can see the car won't go into sleep mode.

My next step is trying to get someone to go unplug the car from the charger as I'm sure that will fix the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

All was fine until 5am on the 27th. Then it started acting weird and only sleeping for 1 minute at a time.

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 3.10.14 PM.png

I vaguely remember some people having to unplug their car for it to sleep, a while ago. It might have been a problem with their charge port controler but I'm going on memory here and I'm not 100% sure of what I'm saying.
I do think your best course of action at the moment is unplugging the car.

oh goodness... having it plugged-in and away, and not taking the plug, that's the worst. 😫

J1772, I take it? If it's J1772, I'd wonder if the station is getting it stuck in a loop, repeatedly sensing state changes, thus keeping the car awake. Or, every time it goes to sleep, the state changes and wakes it right back up. J1772 is analog, and thus can be screwy. If it's a Tesla cord, it ought to explain the issue in more detail on the car's screen. Damn shame you can't capture a screenshot of the car's screen and see it on your phone. That would help. Or if it'd just convey its stored alerts/logs to your phone as well, at least to let you browse them.

If the charge port goes into an error state of some kind, it sometimes won't reset itself until it's able to close the charge port door -- that action is what blanks its memory and makes it start a new charge attempt. As long as the door's open, it's still remembering whatever is wrong with the previous charge session. That, really, is there to keep it from repeatedly hammering a defective EVSE and causing potential ... issues.

If it were me, I'd:
1) ask someone to go unplug it, and just... leave. Make sure to remove the J1772 adapter if applicable, so the door can/will close.
2) see if it sleeps in the following hours -- it should. You'll know it's asleep if it takes >5 seconds to refresh the app status when you open it. Opening/viewing the app will, of course, wake the car.
3) if you can see it's sleeping again, try plugging it in again.

Of course, Sentry will keep it from sleeping, so make sure that's off too :)