Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car/Powerwall charging coordination is finally here for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the easiest way to test would be to turn off wifi in the car. If the coordination still works, then I think they must be using the internet connection to synchronize. I don't think there's any way for the Powerwall Gateway and the car to communicate except through the Internet if they're not both hooked up to the local area network (unless there's some kind of undocumented powerline communication capability).

I don’t understand why they can’t activate this feature to work on-grid also. Hope they do soon I don’t want send power to PGE for 3 cents a kWh if the car needs it.
Agree. I'd like to be able to charge the car on the weekend from excess solar once the PW's are topped off. Seems counter productive for solar to charge the PW, then charge the car which will drain the PW's again then charge them again after the car is done. I have to manually adjust the charge rate which can't be done via the app.

Agree. I'd like to be able to charge the car on the weekend from excess solar once the PW's are topped off. Seems counter productive for solar to charge the PW, then charge the car which will drain the PW's again then charge them again after the car is done. I have to manually adjust the charge rate which can't be done via the app.

so is this new coordination ONLY during a power outage? I would also be interested in using excess solar to charge the PWs, then the car to some max %, then last resort sending it to the grid.

can only hope this is a future enhancement planned...