Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car put itself into park while reversing (twice)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to 2.32.23 overnight. While backing out of the garage the next day the car put itself into park after about 3 feet and displayed the release notes. I closed the release notes on the screen, put the car in reverse and continued backing out. After another 3 feet or so the car again put itself into park and displayed the calendar. I closed the calendar and finished backing out. Filed a bug report.

Thanks for your post. Yes, it sounds like a bug, but just wanted to point out (and apologies if you already know this) but if while backing up you inadvertently raise up slightly off the seat, enough so the seat sensor no longer detects your weight, the car will automatically put itself into Park. Sometimes while backing up some people lift up a bit while turning their head to look behind. I am guessing you are a relatively new owner (based on the refreshed S shown in your avatar photo) so perhaps you are not aware of the seat sensor behavior.

That said, I am in no way questioning what you describe in your post. It is entirely possible that what you describe is a new bug associated with that firmware release.

Thanks for your post. Yes, it sounds like a bug, but just wanted to point out (and apologies if you already know this) but if while backing up you inadvertently raise up slightly off the seat, enough so the seat sensor no longer detects your weight, the car will automatically put itself into Park. Sometimes while backing up some people lift up a bit while turning their head to look behind. I am guessing you are a relatively new owner (based on the refreshed S shown in your avatar photo) so perhaps you are not aware of the seat sensor behavior.

That said, I am in no way questioning what you describe in your post. It is entirely possible that what you describe is a new bug associated with that firmware release.

Thanks for the reply. I did hear about the weight sensor issue but in this case I was not turning around in the seat. I use my mirrors and the backup camera when I reverse out of the garage. I think it is a new bug but it hasn't happened since this morning and I've been out and about in the car all day. Fingers crossed.

that happened to me as I was backing out of my garage yesterday. I thought it might have had to do with getting too close to the garage wall while I was backing out.

I thought the same thing at first as the sensors always beep when I pull out of the garage. However, as far as I know, the car will not forcefully put itself into park even if your about to hit something.

Updated to 2.32.23 overnight. While backing out of the garage the next day the car put itself into park after about 3 feet and displayed the release notes. I closed the release notes on the screen, put the car in reverse and continued backing out. After another 3 feet or so the car again put itself into park and displayed the calendar. I closed the calendar and finished backing out. Filed a bug report.
Wear your seatbelt and don't lift up out of the seat, use the backup camera. It's not a bug.

I can image this being pretty scary to think that at any moment your car might go into park. I would for sure let Tesla know of the day and time it occurred so they can check the logs and get the bug fixed. I am guessing it was a sensor malfunction and the car being to close to something and it felt it needed to stop the car to avoid an accident.

Keep us updated...