Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car rattling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine rattles when the interior is cool (parked in the shade). If I park in the sun, rattles mostly go away.
Ha! My does the opposite. When the sun is out and the temp gets above 80, I get this rattle on the top left of the dash. I had Mobile serviced confirm this and they put additional foam tape beneath the speaker grill but it didn't help. They recommend that I take it in to have the dash taken apart. But now that Fall is here, I'll just put it off till next spring.

Upvote 0
My car will have days where it is rattle-free and it is truly just bliss. Then, a few days later, that bliss is rudely interrupted by rattles everywhere. I have just accepted that's how this car is. Should it be? No. But now that I've accepted it, I don't find it as frustrating.

So stupid for a $40k car, though...

...oh no, I'm doing it again...

Reactions: freeAgent
Upvote 0
I have a service appt. in a few weeks for my loud, repeatable headliner clip rattle. It started around 1000 miles and I now have 2410 miles on my 2021 M3P (June delivery). Today, I got a service estimate of $87.50 that I had to agree to to keep the appointment. I know I've read on here that this insane practice is pretty normal and that they don't actually charge you for warranty work, usually.

Then I got this notice pushed to the app:

"Hello from Tesla Service, we are reviewing your appointment now. Regarding the noise that you mentioned, we want to make you aware that your vehicle's warranty does not cover road noises and sounds such as pops, pings, creaks, squeaks, rattles or wind noise. Because we want you to love your vehicle, we will gladly take a quick look if you are able to replicate your concern with us during your appointment. We will address the issue under warranty if it is caused by a manufacturer defects or parts failure."

So much for customer support! I'll report back after my SC experience at the end of October.

Rob

• Funny
Reactions: Paoay168
Upvote 0
Yeah, I forget what the reporting period is for creaks and rattles, but unless there's literally a broken piece (like a door trim clip that's broken and rattling around inside the door, which happened to me) or something similar, Tesla does not consider these rattling and noise issues to be covered under the warranty.

Upvote 0
I have a service appt. in a few weeks for my loud, repeatable headliner clip rattle. It started around 1000 miles and I now have 2410 miles on my 2021 M3P (June delivery). Today, I got a service estimate of $87.50 that I had to agree to to keep the appointment. I know I've read on here that this insane practice is pretty normal and that they don't actually charge you for warranty work, usually.

"Hello from Tesla Service, we are reviewing your appointment now. Regarding the noise that you mentioned, we want to make you aware that your vehicle's warranty does not cover road noises and sounds such as pops, pings, creaks, squeaks, rattles or wind noise. Because we want you to love your vehicle, we will gladly take a quick look if you are able to replicate your concern with us during your appointment. We will address the issue under warranty if it is caused by a manufacturer defects or parts failure."

So much for customer support! I'll report back after my SC experience at the end of October.

Rob
I had an appointment for a rattle and they found one of the clips for the headliner was actually broken so it was covered under warranty. Although, other rattles still exists after they replaced that part. I've come to the conclusion that I'll just have to live with the rattles. My love for the car is much higher than my hate for the occasional rattles.

Upvote 0

Rob
That's wide open for bangs, twangs, thumps, whines, tings and ding dongs
That's not a rattle it's a ting and therefore covered under warranty

Wow I remember my 1st service appointment to fix a rattle, at the time they told me they had acoustic equipment they could use to track down
elusive noises. How times have changed

Upvote 0
Today, I finally had my SC appointment. After suffering with this totally obnoxious rattle in the headliner for a few months, the past week or so it's been silent (because the weather has cooled off so much in Michigan, I'm assuming). I struggled to reproduce it for the technician, but I finally did. He said they'd seen it on one other Model 3, but it was the clip on the far right side (above the rear right passenger seat). Mine was on the far left. He estimated one or two hours, but it was six hours before I got the notification it was done. I was charged $87.50 in the app. Somehow, the app charged me twice. When I asked the dealer to fix it, he completely eliminated both charges. He said that the warranty covers rattles, but only if they find a defect like a broken clip. I doubt that was the case and think he changed the charge just because I was nice about it.

So far, no more headliner rattle. But in the past few weeks, a new one has developed near the right rear door....

Upvote 0
I had a rattle from the rear deck when hitting a sharp bump. I took it to the service center and they took it apart, replaced clips and aded a foam strip. I can say it is about 90% reduced. Very rare to hear it now. I can live with that. The fact that the car has a pretty stiff and sporty suspension does not help. Always a trade-off. I also have an occasional slight rattle in the RS "A" pillar. Pretty rare. I haven't decided whether to take it in yet. They can't fix it if I can't reproduce it. I don't get too anal about very minor annoyances. I'm too busy enjoying the drive.

I'll wait till next spring. Winter brings out the worst in every car.

Upvote 0