Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car ready too soon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the beginning of November, I ordered a Midnight Gray/White MYLR. The expected delivery date was supposed to be sometime in April, which was fine with me.

I just got a text from Tesla saying the car will be ready the first week of January (four months early). Now, I'm not really opposed to getting the car early, but I'm wondering what my options are.

1. Can I tell them "you said April and that's what I'm expecting" and delay delivery until then? Or if I delay, do I just get the next one off the line. Will they allow me to push it out until April? What is the mechanism to delay delivery? I don't see anywhere on the site to go down that avenue.

2. Or do I accept the car, turn around and flip it? I see them for sale, but I don't really see how much they actually go for. If it's just a couple grand more than I paid, it's probably not worth the effort. I keep hearing about how people want to jump the line, but is this the actual reality?

I realize this is a nice problem to have, but I appreciate anyone's input.

The VIN is: F3434XX

I would check the order agreement. If it allows then hold until April. But there is always a risk Tesla delivery operation team cancelling the order no matter what your Tesla sales advisor says.

remember flipping the car meaning your price needs also cover all taxes and fees you paid for. that being said the sell price must be higher than your original price, which lead to a capital gain and IRS is very interested in this haha

1. Can I tell them "you said April and that's what I'm expecting" and delay delivery until then? Or if I delay, do I just get the next one off the line. Will they allow me to push it out until April? What is the mechanism to delay delivery? I don't see anywhere on the site to go down that avenue.
Check your order agreement. It probably says that you have 90 days from the date of your order to take delivery, as long as it isn't Tesla delaying it, or they can cancel your order and keep the order fee.

So you have until the beginning of February to take delivery.

Probably a lot of people rejecting at the end of the year and people close to factory get moved to the top of the list to try to pad the EOQ numbers.

Look at your order agreement (page 3 under Delivery on mine). It should say you have 3 days to accept delivery once notified. If you can't, vehicle will be sold to someone else and you will have to accept a vehicle within 30/90 days (depending on the order agreement in place when you ordered) or Tesla can cancel your order.

Remember, April was an estimate, not a guarantee.

This would not be a capital gain, you have to hold an asset for 1-year before it becomes a capital gain. This would be an ordinary gain and taxed as regular income.
It's a long term capital gain after holding it 1 year and short term capital gain when holding it less than 1 year. You are correct though long term capital gain is more tax friendly.

It's a long term capital gain after holding it 1 year and short term capital gain when holding it less than 1 year. You are correct though long term capital gain is more tax friendly.
I’ve bought and sold plenty of cars, and I’ve never had a gain reported. I’m not sure how you think IRS would even know? It’s not like a stock sale where you’re getting 1099’d at year end.

Before this thread careens completely off the rails, I chatted up Tesla and told them I didn't want this car. They don't know if I'll get the next one that pops up or if I have to wait until April, but there was no talk of having to accept delivery in the next 30 days. He (Albert) just said a car with my config got put into the delivery pool and my name was matched to it.

There doesn't seem to be any negative repercussions for refusing this delivery, but I have emailed my service advisor to get her take on the situation.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Check your order agreement. It probably says that you have 90 days from the date of your order to take delivery, as long as it isn't Tesla delaying it, or they can cancel your order and keep the order fee.

So you have until the beginning of February to take delivery.
Do you know if Tesla gives customers a heads up before cancelling their order? (Think some people posted that they were canceled..just like that!) 😬