Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Registered on the day of delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How come they don’t register the car until day of pick up?

I’m having a shocker organising insurance on my Model Y, pick up tomorrow, as it doesn’t appear on any database yet.

I’ve not had a car for just over a year so can’t speak to my insurers, but the quotes I’m getting are going up daily.

It’s gone from £600 a year to £1100 when I’ve tried again today.

Not happy.

I’m having a shocker organising insurance on my Model Y, pick up tomorrow, as it doesn’t appear on any database yet.

I’ve not had a car for just over a year so can’t speak to my insurers, but the quotes I’m getting are going up daily.

Not happy.
You phone up when you find your number plate and tell the insurer using a quote that you got based on not knowing the number plate

Not happy.
The recommended timeframe in the insurance industry secure the lowest quotes is 21 days prior, as mentioned above, there should be no issue to manually select make/model instead of entering reg. Then the quotes are valid for a month and you can add the registration afterwards to finalise.

As for the reason Tesla does it, that way, if you don't show up / cancel, they can reallocate the car without DVLA fees and possibly avoid incrementing the previous owner count for the vehicle.

Reactions: Marcusg71