Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Registration Documents for Incorrect State (MO instead of IN)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I submitted my paperwork, I gave them my Indiana driver's license, My current address is in Missouri and told them I wish to register the car in Indiana (Missouri stay only temporary moving back to indiana in 2 weeks), but apparently having my current address being in STL and that I am picking it up missouri probably lead them to having the registration papers for Missouri.

I received the documents, I called Tesla delivery coordinator and local dealer, they both stated theres nothing they can do from their end and that I'll have to register it in Missouri and then transfer it to Indiana.

Missouri taxes charge 4.225% state plus local (~roughly 5.1k for 56k car), although I am confused since I did not get charged taxes when I picked it up) Do I only pay the 4.225% ($2.3K) if I decide to register it here? Indiana taxes come out to be roughly $3.9k so this mistake will cost me $1.2k if I have to pay local MO taxes as well.

If anyone from STL can let me know how much taxes they ended having to pay, or if anyone has advice on how to proceed that would be greatly appreciated.