Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car reset to default settings after update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car just updated to 2022.16.2.1 I did not install or authorize this it just did it. I went to get in and it's locked, I never lock my car in the garage. I tried my phone and it said something about remote enabling remote settings under Safety. Anyway I get into the car and I've got a welcome message about version 11? The car reflects ... for milage and the maps are reset. It shows itself parked at Tesla HQ in California.

It's taken out my driver profile however remembers wifi and my bluetooth. It's like it just got restored to factory defaults however I did not do this nor authorize this. I assume this is a bug. I'm glad it happened at home and not while I was out somewhere.

Last edited:
I opened a ticket with Tesla and they said it was likely a bug but stated the update being installed was for maps? Right after the reset the next update arrived and installed without issue. Milage came back and it found it's actual location again. just annoying having to turn on all the stuff id set over the years. Like internal lights, why would they default that off?

Map updates work differently, they install automatically when you’re connected to WiFi. However, those don’t update your software version number, map updates have their own version number (which is shown on the Controls > Software screen).
I know, I don't think Tesla knew. It's been frustrating having to get everything reset and I've lost my historical energy usage too. It could be worse.

Reactions: Transformer
Just happened to my 2018 model 3 LR - updated to v11.0 (2022.36.2) and lost my profile settings (except for one), my Trip history (one of which I kept to track my energy usage and efficiency since Day 1), all of my Homelink settings, my charging history (at least last paid charging session), my Valet/Drive/Glovebox PINs, Lock settings, Light settings, all Safety settings, car name, custom car colors.

Quite annoying. I am very glad I did not need to car for a long drive today.

Reactions: George75
Are driver profiles visible on the web portal? I know they’re supposed to be synced over the cloud but I’ve never seen it in action
I don't know about visibility in the portal, but with server backup, it'd make sense for the car to restore from the backup. Did the car erase the local profile then sync that to the server? Did it switch to a local profile? It'd help if the web portal had a way to revert to an older backup.

Today this happened on 2022.44.25.2 which I've had for a bit on a 2018 M3P w/ v2.5 MCU. Entered car and the left rendering of the car went away but the menu and map still worked. None of the left area where the car is was working as it was just grey so I performed the two button reset. Upon restarting, all my settings were gone except keys and bluetooth. My PIN-to-drive was removed, the mobile access removed, the car name was reset, "comfort" driving mode instead of sport, media account(s) credentials lost, etc. I got all the "what's new in 11.0" screens.

The weird thing?

My friend, who has a '16 Model S w/ v3 MCU upgrade running 2022.44.25.2 (same as mine), had the SAME THING HAPPEN after leaving lunch. Returned to car to have the "what's new" on his display and his PIN-to-drive was disabled....

This was within about 2 hours of each other.

Upon stopping, my car immediately had a "software update" for 2022.44.25.3.... I asked my friend, his did the same thing.

Seeing how this occurred on different models running the same firmware version is telling. Like they had to send a reset to force the car to pull the new .3 patch fix.

This just happened to me again for the second time in 2 months with my 2020 Model 3. Everything seems to start normally. I got the update notification through my app, I clicked download software and something happens in between the initial download and actually downloading it to the car.
My driver profile gets wiped from the car, my mobile access is denied on the app, my cars location thinks it is at the Tesla factory in Texas (which also means my home wifi will not connect to the car because it only pulls up the Tesla factory’s wifi) and the worst part is my odometer shows zero.
When I called the first time this happened in November the service woman was extremely confused and said “this is not something I’m familiar with happening.” She asked me to confirm my identity by giving her my vin number and the current odometer reading. I told her my odometer is currently showing zero but I can give her an estimate of what I was at before the reset and she said that’s not good enough and Tesla does not keep that information on file because it is considered “personal information.”
After a few attempts at overriding her system to let her gain access to my Tesla account, she saw that the software update was never completed because there never even was a software update available for my car in the first place, strange. After multiple failed attempts at rebooting my car through the steering wheel buttons, she sent me an email and connected me to their wifi to try and reboot my car manually through her computer. It worked, but unfortunately she was not able to restore any of my settings, but my odometer at least returned to normal and that was all I really cared about.
She assured me that this was a rare issue and should never happen again….but here I am a month later with a car that is stuck mid reboot. Of course it is after hours so I cannot even contact anyone at Tesla to help me try and resolve the issue. Wish me luck contacting them tomorrow, I will keep you posted on any new troubleshooting tips they provide.

Reactions: Transformer
Just happened to my 2018 model 3 LR - updated to v11.0 (2022.36.2) and lost my profile settings (except for one), my Trip history (one of which I kept to track my energy usage and efficiency since Day 1), all of my Homelink settings, my charging history (at least last paid charging session), my Valet/Drive/Glovebox PINs, Lock settings, Light settings, all Safety settings, car name, custom car colors.

Quite annoying. I am very glad I did not need to car for a long drive today.
I had the identical issue with my 2018 model 3 LR (2022.44.25) , all user settings were set to default, trip history and such. I'm not sure if even after a week of driving if all the settings are now restored. Even the car's name was zeroed out. This occurred the day I was departing on a 1,000 mile road trip. The entire trip I was discovering defaulted values. It would be great if the next update could restore the trip history.