Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car rolls backwards in drive with creep on and flat surface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is smart enough to apply the “hold” when you break or stay at 0mph and require you told hold the break yourself based on whether the surface is flat, at an incline, or a decline. It will maintain a 0mph if it is on a decline and will roll forward, or puts on “hold” if it’s on an incline and will roll backward. I’ve noticed this thus far in my limited 400miles of ownership.

So IMO it’s smart enough to figure out whether it needs to enable the electric “hold”.

Reactions: Nathan
"pretty flat" is like "kind of" turning a light on. It either is or is not...

LOL, this. It's my experience that most people haven't a clue whether they're sitting on a "truly flat" surface. I can tell you for sure and for certain that I never appreciated how much the grade of roadways change until I started long distance bike riding. Now I can spot an incline/decline from my car quite easily.

I’ve had a similar thing.
Car stopped at light on hill with brake hold on.
Traffic starts moving so I give a light application of go pedal to start moving.
If it’s too light the car will roll back a few inches as the brake hold goes off but there isn’t enough energy applied to make the car move.
I just thought it was me, but I’ll submit a bug report now.

Creep will not keep my S or 3 from rolling backward on steep inclines. I think this is how it is supposed to work. Most automatic transmission ICE cars also roll backward in drive if it is steep enough.

You can use the hill hold feature to stop rollback. Just press the brake harder until the hill hold icon appears on the screen. Works great. I think all Teslas with any version of autopilot hardware have this feature.

GSP

My car rolled backwards in drive with creep mode on and the surface was pretty flat. This happened a few times usually when I first got in and started the car. Does it happen to anyone else?
(This is not a criticism of you personall) I think it is likely that the road that you thought was “pretty flat” was not level. It can be difficult to tell if a road surface is truly level.

And as others have pointed out, Creep Mode will not keep the car stationary in Drive with no pressure on the accelerator if the road has a slight upwards slope which may not be visually detectable.

I suggest that you try getting used to your car with Creep Mode off. It has its advantages. When I took delivery of my Model S in 2013 I made sure Creep was off and have never used it since on any of my Teslas.

No.
Are you sure you selected "D"? Otherwise I am not sure how it can roll back in a flat surface even if it is mistakenly in neutral.
When I happened yesterday I double checked to make sure it was it in “D”.

(This is not a criticism of you personall) I think it is likely that the road that you thought was “pretty flat” was not level. It can be difficult to tell if a road surface is truly level.

And as others have pointed out, Creep Mode will not keep the car stationary in Drive with no pressure on the accelerator if the road has a slight upwards slope which may not be visually detectable.

I suggest that you try getting used to your car with Creep Mode off. It has its advantages. When I took delivery of my Model S in 2013 I made sure Creep was off and have never used it since on any of my Teslas.[/
The few times happened in parking lots and at least to me feels like completely flat. So when it rolled back it made me think there’s a small incline but the creep somehow didn’t engage when car first start up.
After it happens I would Park and shift to Drive again and it’ll no longer roll back. Which kind of confirms that Creep mode didn’t come on the first time.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It happens not just when I start the car, but also when I'm stopped on lights or behind someone.

I get that we don't know what's flat or not, but what's throwing me off is that it rolls back in a lot of places where my previous car with automatic transmission didn't have any problems. Creep mode is way weaker than my ICEs automatic transmission w/o stepping on the pedal.

I've had similar experiences. The creep mode seems to apply less torque than a traditional automatic. Having driven on some steep hills in San Francisco a few days ago, I wish Tesla could implement an additional "hill assist" like some other cars that prevents it from rolling back once the brake is released. It can be difficult to find the right amount of pedal pressure to keep the car from rolling while at the same time not taking off like a rocket. ;) Should be very easy to implement on an EV.

ACCIDENT

Time to catch up on the forums after being away for a week. Sooo the day before vacation the model 3 rolled back into the car behind! Wife was driving and she was at a complete stop and brake hold was not engaged. I'm assuming she was light footed on the brake and didn't even realize the car was rolling backwards toward the car behind that was literally on her bumper. Creep was off. And it was the slightest incline. An auto car would not have rolled back.

Got some new parking sensors (license plate bolts indents).... (sigh)

If you've driven a manual and you know to always press firmly on the brake pedal or even engage the hand brake, this wouldn't be an issue but if you drive an auto transmission your whole life this design flaw is NOT GOOD.

This is a really bad. Creep on should eliminate some backwards roll on the slightest incline but NOPE. I tested at same spot.

HOW DO WE GET TESLA TO ADDRESS THIS?!

ACCIDENT

Time to catch up on the forums after being away for a week. Sooo the day before vacation the model 3 rolled back into the car behind! Wife was driving and she was at a complete stop and brake hold was not engaged. I'm assuming she was light footed on the brake and didn't even realize the car was rolling backwards toward the car behind that was literally on her bumper. Creep was off. And it was the slightest incline. An auto car would not have rolled back.

If you've driven a manual and you know to always press firmly on the brake pedal or even engage the hand brake, this wouldn't be an issue but if you drive an auto transmission your whole life this design flaw is NOT GOOD.

This is a really bad. Creep on should eliminate some backwards roll on the slightest incline but NOPE. I tested at same spot.

Mine does not roll back on a slight incline with Creep on, which I have on the whole time. I can't think of a single time I've rolled back with Creep on, but then again if it looks like an incline of any substance I press the brake pedal more firmly to engage the (H) Hold function. I don't think there's anything to fix here, but I'm sorry you had an incident.

I'd be curious to see a video of a really slight incline where you have Creep on and it rolls back.

Reactions: evannole
Will do.

If you experiment with creep on and off, it takes different brake pedal pressure to activate brake hold. Off takes less pedal pressure. On takes more pedal pressure.

There is definitely something that can be improved here and it seems finicky when and how it happens. I've even read people using the roll back feature to move their car slightly because they are too lazy to put it in reverse. They think it's convenient because it's acts like a manual car. I'm floored by this perspective. This is an electric car. Like a light switch it is on (go) or off (stop). The system should not allow any roll when stopped regardless of brake pedal pressure.

Reactions: evannole
ACCIDENT

That sucks. The one time the annoying roll back parking lock doesn't work. It always locks the car when I want to roll back on while on brakes.

Will do.

If you experiment with creep on and off, it takes different brake pedal pressure to activate brake hold. Off takes less pedal pressure. On takes more pedal pressure.

There is definitely something that can be improved here and it seems finicky when and how it happens. I've even read people using the roll back feature to move their car slightly because they are too lazy to put it in reverse. They think it's convenient because it's acts like a manual car. I'm floored by this perspective. This is an electric car. Like a light switch it is on (go) or off (stop). The system should not allow any roll when stopped regardless of brake pedal pressure.

Yes, it takes more pedal pressure to enable Hold when Creep is enabled. I'm assuming this was done on purpose since otherwise it would defeat the purpose of Creep to a significant degree when stopped.

There may be a good reason why the car will roll back on an incline, but I'm not thinking of one right now, so I tend to agree with you. That said, I think most people are aware of how it works, and are used to car rolling back on inclines - and will at least try to make sure they're paying attention.

How close was the person behind the car? Generally if someone is that close it's their fault for being that close... That said, if the car rolled back a ton you'd have a hard argument blaming the person behind!