TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car roof mounted photovoltaics

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by malcolm, Oct 27, 2007.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

2. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Waste Of Money, Brain And Time - WOMBAT

Better tweak your regen. For much less money you'll benefit much more.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Or get eneregy from the wheels/shocks going up an down.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

You could put magnetic induction coils under the freeway and recharge as you drive.

They could make them oscillate such that you have to go the speed limit to get power.

5. mt2

mt2 Member

Why didn't they just put in the Steorn device and call it a day?

6. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

Trickle-Charge Stored Vehicles w/Solar | EarthTechling

SUNfilm Solar Battery Chargers | GPElectric

GP-SF_Family.jpg

Would this be usefull in an EV?
    For heating or cooling?
    Or are these PV-pannels still not powerfull enough?

7. strider

strider Active Member

I can't recall the exact number but I want to say that the PV roof on the Fisker will only generate like 60-miles of range in like 10 years of service. It's way more trouble than it's worth. As malcolm said, put a bunch on your house and be happy.

8. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

#8 JRP3, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    I must point out that panels on the car are the only ones that actually contribute to zero emissions driving, unless your home system goes into a battery storage bank, or your car is plugged into it during the day. Grid tied solar just feeds the grid, you can have it with or without an EV. It can offset your driving costs, but coming home at night and plugging into the grid means a power plant somewhere needs to put out a bit more juice.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

One could argue that feeding your solar to the grid during the day and charging your car at night has a higher net benefit (and thus lower total emissions) than simply charging your car on solar during the day.

10. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I guess it depends on where the additional nighttime load compensation comes from. If your night time charging comes from coal and your daytime grid fed solar offsets NG then over all emissions are higher. Of course the reality is that grid tied solar is probably putting more kWh's in to the grid than your pack requires, a lot of variables to consider.

11. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

It's impractical to size a home-roof-mounted solar PV system + storage bank so that worst-case energy yield (=period of bad weather/snow) matches worst-case energy-demand (Roadster empties his pack for several days in a row). You'd have massive amounts of excess energy that you want to feed to the grid.
    My worst lull this year was in January (=snow). My 10kWp system harvested a mere 13.5kWh in that week, that's a 1/4 roadster charge and equals 55 miles.

I can see the desire to keep an EV topped up when camping far off the grid for several days. I'd like to have a portable set of PV modules, mounted on a tripod and tracking the sun for that.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

These kind of PVs are very useful in specialized circumstances. I have one on my sailboat to keep the battery trickle-charged; otherwise, the bilge pump can run the battery dry if I'm not careful. But that's the scale where these mountable PVs are useful, not in providing motive power to a BEV.