Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car running cabin fan when parked in hot sun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy hot in the mid Atlantic this week. I noticed the fan running on the car (no AC) while parked in my detached garage, sunroof was vented, car not charging/plugged in (temp was probably 105-110 in the garage). Seemed not helpful for the car to be drawing in very hot air to try to "cool" the cabin.

People should be aware there is also a fan, possibly plural, in the center console computer that spins when the computer gets too warm. As far as I know, this is thermostatically controlled with no ability to override it one way or the other. On a hot day it spins. There is no perceptible airflow in the car when this noise is happening. Nothing blows out the vents.

As opposed to the HVAC system, which is separate, and blows out the vents that you can adjust and feel the air. You have control over this from the App to cool or warm the car.

My question is, when the fan reported in this thread is blowing (even though you're sure you didn't turn it on, and there is no smart pre-conditioning feature enabled).. what does the App report? Is it showing HVAC on a cooling mode? Can you turn it off?

People should be aware there is also a fan, possibly plural, in the center console computer that spins when the computer gets too warm. As far as I know, this is thermostatically controlled with no ability to override it one way or the other. On a hot day it spins. There is no perceptible airflow in the car when this noise is happening. Nothing blows out the vents.

As opposed to the HVAC system, which is separate, and blows out the vents that you can adjust and feel the air. You have control over this from the App to cool or warm the car.

My question is, when the fan reported in this thread is blowing (even though you're sure you didn't turn it on, and there is no smart pre-conditioning feature enabled).. what does the App report? Is it showing HVAC on a cooling mode? Can you turn it off?

This is clearly the cabin air not the center screen cooling fan. I could feel the cabin air blowing out the vented sunroof. No smart conditioning on, no way that I know to disable. It actually seems to stop when you open the door.