Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car running cabin fan when parked in hot sun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I just had a loaner for a few days while my car was worked on. I parked the car in the sun in 98 F temperature all day at a hotel. When I came back to the car during the day I noticed the cabin fan (not the AC) was running and when I open the car it was not as hot as it usually is. I noticed it a few times during the day and following day. It didn't do that when it was cooler or at night. At no time was the car plugged in.

My own car has never done that and I can't see any option for that anywhere in the UI/Settings. I love that feature and I would love my car to do that. Has anyone seen their car do that? Is that a new option?

This can be done using the phone app with CLIMATE - TURN ON and setting the temp all the way up to HI (one click beyond 85).

If there's another way to do this or any other suggestions, please let me (and other South Floridians) know ASAP.

I've noticed my S recently doing this same behavior. I had my S facing south with the windshield towards the sun in my drive way, my wife commented a few times that the fan was running. I checked my app and it didn't show the climate being on, but went outside and sure enough the fan was running. I opened the door and it stopped immediately. Closed the door and it did not resume.

maybe a new feature from one of the recent slew of updates.

I've noticed my S recently doing this same behavior. I had my S facing south with the windshield towards the sun in my drive way, my wife commented a few times that the fan was running. I checked my app and it didn't show the climate being on, but went outside and sure enough the fan was running. I opened the door and it stopped immediately. Closed the door and it did not resume.

maybe a new feature from one of the recent slew of updates.

Thanks! Might be a new update. I will keep an eye on my car when I park it in the sun next time. I think it's a great feature. Definitely kept the inside of the car much cooler.

Did you see if "Smart Preconditioning" was turned on when checking the settings. It could be and the car has learned from a previous loanee to run at that time.

It was definitely turned off in my case.

Doesn't it burn battery and one would be worried about coming out to a car much lower than expected?

Not at all. The fan uses maybe 60 Watt. The fan would have to run for 5 hours straight to consume 1 mile of range.

Typically my S85+AP is parked in the afternoon sun and the Tesla app reports interior temperatures of 100 to 115 F, and some fan is running, easy to hear from outside. I put a thermometer inside the car, not in the sun, where I can read it from outside the car. The app-reported temps seem essentially correct.

The AC is normally running to cool the occupants whenever I drive, usually at a low fan speed, always in recirculate mode ... to avoid sucking in exhaust from other cars. Prior to my first yearly service last February, I did not smell outside smells, and often thought about how well the Tesla recirculate mode worked. However, after the cabin filter change, it seems like now I do smell some things from outside. But, the Climate Control was turned Off before I parked and exited the car. No climate settings from the app, and preconditioning is turned off.

Now, it feels like Air is being sucked in at the base of the windshield, and hot air is trying to exit the cabin, even around the extended door handles. The front lower left and right flaps seem to be closed. The exterior air temp is about 80 degrees F. When I lower some windows an inch, quite a breeze blows out. I did not notice this behavior last summer. So, it might be newer firmware trying to ventilate the hot cabin when there is cooler ambient outside air available? I hate to think of parking outside in Phoenix.

Do others notice this "new feature", or is there something wrong with my car?
Thanks for any helpful comments.
I am currently using firmware revision 2.22.35, the latest offered to me.

Mine does this regularly on sunny days in California. Outside temp might only be 75, but inside is reporting 100+. Remains on with the sunroof vented, but goes off once windows are down or doors are opened. Also confirmed it is just a fan, not AC. Good to know it doesn't draw too many watts. It's a good reminder for me to put the sunshade up.

Reactions: David99
If it's just running the fan, and not running the heater or air conditioner (as it sounds like is the case), then the energy usage will be negligible.
I first noticed this when I was closely tracking my RM usage and saw it use 5RM while parked while I was playing golf. Subsequently I've seen the same thing whenever it's parked in the sun (80F-90F) for more than an hour or two.

It may or may not be running the AC, but it does consume significantly more battery than normal vampire loss.

This is the automatic venting feature and it is described in your owner's manual. Essentially it is designed to protect the computers from excessive heat I imagine. I have noticed this feature being on a few times if the S is parked in the sun..... It has been there since the beginning.

In the area of the manual called Climate Controls, the last paragraph states....

To reduce the temperature in the cabin in

hot weather conditions, the fan may turn

on to vent the cabin when the vehicle is

parked (this occurs only if the battery's

charge level is above 20%).

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Good question. I have my climate control always set to auto and adjust the temp up and down as I need it. I'm pretty sure the car is smart enough to not run it on recirculate when this feature kicks in. Same when you start the climate control from the app. It doesn't matter what you have it set to when you left it, it will turn on the AC even if you manually turned it off when you left.

The air appears to enter from the passenger side right near the junction of the hood and the windshield in the area of the air filter. Both times when I was aware the venting was on, I had my pano roof in Vent position (it was hot and sunny so I had set the Pano to Vent) so I did feel air exiting from the pano roof vent. It was quite a substantial flow of air I might add. And hot too.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
Today in Reno with the air temperature at 96F, I parked in the shade of a tree, did not open the pano vent, and went into a mall for about 45 minutes. When I returned, to my surprise the interior was about 75F and the AC was definitely running as cold air was coming out of the dash the moment I sat down. I had also burned through about 5RM.

I did not turn on the AC from the phone app.

I'm on 2.28.19. Did something change? I expected a warm car, not too bad because I parked in the shade, but expected that 96F ambient is going to heat up the car. Who decided to turn on the AC and chill things down? It could not have happened between door handle presentation and sitting down. More importantly how long would this have gone on had I not returned? I am reminded of another poster from British Columbia who lost a lot of battery while parked in the sun one day, causing him to have a small charging crisis.