Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Runs when not there - Settings for Optimal Battery Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is our first Tesla so we are still learning what are the proper settings for the car.

We have Purchased the Performance Model Y last week.

We also have the Tesla Charger in the garage.

I have noticed that there are times I will walk into the garage and I will hear the car running (ac?) or maybe something else.

It is NOT plugged in and I do not have my phone or Key anywhere near the car.

Are we doing something wrong? Some setting need to be changed?

We are in Florida and it is getting warmer :)

Thanks for your help ahead of time

This is our first Tesla so we are still learning what are the proper settings for the car.

We have Purchased the Performance Model Y last week.

We also have the Tesla Charger in the garage.

I have noticed that there are times I will walk into the garage and I will hear the car running (ac?) or maybe something else.

It is NOT plugged in and I do not have my phone or Key anywhere near the car.

Are we doing something wrong? Some setting need to be changed?

We are in Florida and it is getting warmer :)

Thanks for your help ahead of time

You also should plug it in. There is absolutely zero benefit to "running it down to charge it back up" this is specifically said somewhere in the manual for the model 3, and the model Y is basically the same car, so I am sure its in there as well.

We went through all this in the model 3 forum over the past year and half or so... and model S and X owners gave out a lot of good advice that a lot of people ignored as they stressed about their new car with its battery.

Now, much wiser, I am sure some of us will try to help here, and will also likely be ignored :p

When I had the new M3, the vehicle would literally stay on intermittently at times (infotainment and all). I had to start logging each occurrence and submitted the times to Tesla. Doesn't sound as if that's what you're experiencing, but I'd be curious to know either way.

When I had the new M3, the vehicle would literally stay on intermittently at times (infotainment and all). I had to start logging each occurrence and submitted the times to Tesla. Doesn't sound as if that's what you're experiencing, but I'd be curious to know either way.

No Infotainment and the rest of the car shuts down. I guess we will start leaving it plugged in per Jjandorin's sugestion!

Reactions: Thp3
You also should plug it in. There is absolutely zero benefit to "running it down to charge it back up" this is specifically said somewhere in the manual for the model 3, and the model Y is basically the same car, so I am sure its in there as well.

I did a quick google search for the model Y manual to confirm the same text is there, and it is. In the model Y its on page 157 in the manual. For reference, here is the text, copy / pasted from the model Y manual:

=========================================================================

About the Battery Model Y has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model Y for several weeks. When plugged in, Model Y wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery. Note: When left idle and unplugged, your vehicle periodically uses energy from the Battery for system tests and recharging the 12V battery when necessary. There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly.
==========================================================================