Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car says key not present, when key is in my pocket

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
My X has started sometimes saying the key is not present. But I have the key in my pocket. Anyone experience this before?

Maybe it is time for a new battery? if so, is this something I can change? I believe the battery is common type.

ACA Man

Jul 19, 2017
Rancho Cucamonga
Mine did the same thing.

At first, I thought it's the battery and so I put in a brand new one and yet it still indicated that the key's not present.
And then it worked again.
It happened a few times now so I think it may have something to do with the key fob.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I saw that error or a low battery error off and on for months before I actually had to change the fob battery. Fortunately you should have plenty of time before you actually have to change it.

boelkers

May 30, 2017
Minnesota
I've had this issue before. I usually carry the fob and my phone in the same pocket. Every now and then the car says the fob isn't present. If I pull it out of my pocket the car sees the fob. Or if I pull the phone out of my pocket the car suddenly sees the fob. So your cell phone could be blocking/interfering with the signal.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I've had this issue before. I usually carry the fob and my phone in the same pocket. Every now and then the car says the fob isn't present. If I pull it out of my pocket the car sees the fob. Or if I pull the phone out of my pocket the car suddenly sees the fob. So your cell phone could be blocking/interfering with the signal.
I always carry mine in opposite pockets but still saw the issue from time to time. I just couldn't figure out why it would come and go over a several month period. Eventually, I swapped out the battery.

mattielou

Nov 4, 2015
Seattle, WA
My X has started sometimes saying the key is not present. But I have the key in my pocket. Anyone experience this before?

Maybe it is time for a new battery? if so, is this something I can change? I believe the battery is common type.

If I carry the fob in the same pocket with my metallic house and business keys, sometimes it get shielded from the center console where the detector is located. I just shuffle the stuff in my pocket and it is ok.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California

I never carry the phone in a pocket with keys or change. I cracked a phone screen once and it ran a few hundred to fix it. Learned my lesson.

BTW, anyone try to source the CR2354 battery? Amazon has some sellers with them, but the feedback is really bad on most. Local Target, grocery stores, and drug stores do not carry them.

Silicon Desert

Oct 1, 2018
Sparks, / GF1
I never carry the phone in a pocket with keys or change. I cracked a phone screen once and it ran a few hundred to fix it. Learned my lesson.

BTW, anyone try to source the CR2354 battery? Amazon has some sellers with them, but the feedback is really bad on most. Local Target, grocery stores, and drug stores do not carry them.
Hi J, I didn't have very good luck finding those batteries up here either. So I bought some off Amazon.
In my three years, I have had to replace the battery on average every year. A ranger was here recently for a routine service check and said the batteries should last 4-5 years. No way, I believe that time based on my experience. Maybe some folks are having better luck. When my battery started to die, I noticed a similar symptom as you mention, yet as other people say, could be interaction with other items in the pocket. I also noticed that the charger door wouldn't open unless I held the fob higher up on the back window, and the fob operating the door was needing to be closer to the car, so that was a hint to me to replace the battery.

jdchi

Nov 7, 2017
Illinois

I had a fob fail on me even after replacing the battery. Tesla mobile service can come out and replace the fob for free. It's a five minute fix.

CELSIE19

Aug 2, 2018

You can change the battery. It is easy to do and instructions are in the owner's manual.

SpudLime

Jun 10, 2018
Leesburg, Va
Tesla mobile service just left my house and replaced my battery. I have this error on occasion. I keep mine in my pocket with my wallet. The tech said a lot of the new CC are metal and could block the signal for the fob as well.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Tesla mobile service just left my house and replaced my battery. I have this error on occasion. I keep mine in my pocket with my wallet. The tech said a lot of the new CC are metal and could block the signal for the fob as well.
For me this happens when I stuff my Galaxy S10 and my fob in the same pocket.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I just changed the battery, so I am hoping that fixes the issue for a while. Car is about 13 months old.

FWIW, Batteries Plus stocks the Panasonic CR2354 LiIon battery. $5.

• Informative
Reactions: SpudLime

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC