Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Scent/Air Freshener ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It helped that I found out later that she was relieved because she didnt normally wear perfume and was doing so "for me". We were both 18 at the time, and now we are in our 50s and have been together the whole time.

It’s actually a serious problem. My MIL wears some perfume or another that instantly sets me off. It was at the point where I’d drive with the window when she was in the car; didn’t matter the temperature. I didn’t want to hurt her feelings and say “you give me a headache every time you’re in my car” but eventually I had to break down and say something. She was only mad I was being stupid and waited a decade! My lovely wife (again at the time GF) was more than happy to never wear the stuff again. One less thing to worry about. And yes - we really ARE clones. Can’t wait to make my way out there and buy a beer or 3 ...

But yeah, the scent thing is a real problem and makes it really hard to shop for an air freshener.

Used to go to a car wash that would spray some crap or another in the car if you didn’t stop them. One spray and I was ready to trade the damn thing in!

So if anyone has a neutralizer idea, I’m all ears. Just want something neutral - no fruity smells or “DuPont forest”’or whatever chemical nonsense.

(And for the record ... this is also why I use the frunk when I transport food. I don’t want “last night’s pizza” smell in the car...)

It’s actually a serious problem. My MIL wears some perfume or another that instantly sets me off. It was at the point where I’d drive with the window when she was in the car; didn’t matter the temperature. I didn’t want to hurt her feelings and say “you give me a headache every time you’re in my car” but eventually I had to break down and say something. She was only mad I was being stupid and waited a decade! My lovely wife (again at the time GF) was more than happy to never wear the stuff again. One less thing to worry about. And yes - we really ARE clones. Can’t wait to make my way out there and buy a beer or 3 ...

But yeah, the scent thing is a real problem and makes it really hard to shop for an air freshener.

Used to go to a car wash that would spray some crap or another in the car if you didn’t stop them. One spray and I was ready to trade the damn thing in!

So if anyone has a neutralizer idea, I’m all ears. Just want something neutral - no fruity smells or “DuPont forest”’or whatever chemical nonsense.

(And for the record ... this is also why I use the frunk when I transport food. I don’t want “last night’s pizza” smell in the car...)

There are several activated charcoal odor neutralizer available on Amazon. I don’t know how well they work, but may be worth a shot. Here are a couple of example links:

https://smile.amazon.com/PURGGO-Car...qid=1613917781&sprefix=Car+neu,aps,217&sr=8-8

https://smile.amazon.com/VZee-Elimi...qid=1613917781&sprefix=Car+neu,aps,217&sr=8-2

https://smile.amazon.com/House-Bamb...qid=1613917781&sprefix=Car+neu,aps,217&sr=8-4

https://smile.amazon.com/Yumybom-Ac...qid=1613917781&sprefix=Car+neu,aps,217&sr=8-6

I guess I just keep a really clean car. I have tried air fresheners before, but I have never felt like I needed one. My car just smells "clean".
I HATE air fresheners. My Teslas still have lingering new scent even being over a year old. Besides the obvious smoking here are the key things I have found to keep an interior smelling new/fresh are:

1. NEVER put food items in the cabin. (frunk only)
2. NEVER use recirc HVAC function (any foreign substance in cabin)
3. NEVER any pets in the vehicle (of course not possible for some)
4. NEVER leave trash/debris/food/coffee/etc. in cabin for long time periods.

As someone who suffers from migraines often triggered by even brief exposure to air "fresheners" - I encourage finding alternatives. It's not an uncommon affliction, and you never know when you'll have to give a ride or let someone borrow or service your car who has a similar sensitivity (and chances are that person won't say anything but simply suffer in silence). Once you get away from artificial fragrances, it's amazing how much more you can taste and smell.

Anyway, a combination of keeping the vehicle clean, using all-season matts if appropriate, and the only air freshener that actually works is an air purifier using a HEPA filter and optionally activated carbon. Another good trick to removing odors is to park the car in the sun.

Ok, so I went ahead and ordered this one because it was only $10. Received it today, and it’s pretty neat. It’s relatively small, and guess what, it just so happens to fit in the dash vent. Fits with some friction, so it won’t move on turns. In low light, practically invisible. I had to use the flash in the photo below to be able to show it.

3E8DFDC2-3D11-43C8-9D70-E2F9AFC3A8A9.jpeg

3417164C-4007-4532-9201-A1D57C3DACD9.jpeg

DD40417E-1172-4025-9541-7DE8C4AC05E9.jpeg

I have a very cheap way and effective way of freshening the air. Take a small empty spray bottle. Fill half of it with water and the other half with either Fabuloso or Pine Sol cleaner. With the car parked and the air fan on, open the frunk and spray 4 or 5 sprays into the air intake just below the windshield on the passenger side. Damp leaves or gunk can accumulate on or even just inside the air intake. So if this happens remove the top cover of the air intake and use a clean microfiber with some of the spray solution to clean the inside of the air intake and the cover as well.

Do you think 10:1 or 4:1 D101 is okay to spray there? Worried about the soap chemistry vs just pine sol.

Do you think 10:1 or 4:1 D101 is okay to spray there? Worried about the soap chemistry vs just pine sol.

I find D101 to have a very strong scent, so I would try the 10:1 dilution ratio first if you are going to use it in this manner. The reason I would choose PineSol over D101 is that PineSol both cleans and disinfects. I think D101 would clean but I don’t think it would disinfect.

But I could be wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: VeryRealPerson
I'm with you on that one, yet long ago I discovered it was a benefit. Going ashore on liberty in the Navy while overseas, it was the one of the things that kept me away from all those $8 prostitutes :eek: You could smell that cheap perfume miles away :p
I'm with you on that one, too. Never even thought about buying a date when I couldn't get within 10 feet due to the smell. Too Strong!!! Bad Scent!!! Go away!!! My wifey never wears perfume, and I thank her. Even hairspray can get to be too much.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I have been using them. I like most of the scents. It's hard to describe scents, but they are natural smelling like you are out in the woods. Cedar, pine type smells. They are a quite pricey. For $20 you get two packs, each pack lasts a couple weeks. So you are looking at $20 per month. Personally, I only use them during the winter, because I find the HVAC smells during the winter, but I have no issues in the summer. They are a nice design and fit snuggly in the model 3 vents. I just wish the smell lasted longer.

I swear by this product. I can still smell it weeks after using it. very effective and cheap.

Meguiar's G16402 Whole Car Air Re-Fresher Odor Eliminator Mist, New Car Scent, 2 Fluid Ounces

How strong is the scent? I'm not looking for a strong odor of anything - perfumes and such drive my nose absolutely crazy ... but I do want to neutralize the scent after I put the doggo in the car. I use a (Tesla official!) seat cover and all, but there's always that lingering "eau de Chien mouillé" for days.

How strong is the scent? I'm not looking for a strong odor of anything - perfumes and such drive my nose absolutely crazy ... but I do want to neutralize the scent after I put the doggo in the car. I use a (Tesla official!) seat cover and all, but there's always that lingering "eau de Chien mouillé" for days.

My English Bulldog rides with me and she's.... a little smelly... to say the least. I no longer smell DOG. It's not overly strong either and more is an eliminator but leaves a pleasant new car smell. Its really important to air the car out after the 15 mins that the mist is deployed but just follow the directions and you'll be fine. I like the fact that it tamed my air filter smell that was going on. My car is 3 years old and i've never changed the filters ( i know i know but i dont wanna be a contortionist lol)

Since you have a bully too... I would leave the dog cover inside the car so it can get the treatment as well. no more bully smell.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy