Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Seat and Passenger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered my model 3 and my wife is currently worried about a possible future scenario that may push me to cancel the order. I'm hoping for good news here.

We have one child now, and by the time our 1st is 2 years old, or slightly older, we're planning on having another child. When this happens my mother in law will be living with us, from out of country, for ~6 months or more. Is there room for 2 car seats and an adult person in the back seat?

Thank you for your input!

No. I drive an S and while you "can" fit an adult in between two car seats back there, it is a pain to get in and out. It is also really tight, car seats push firmly against you. If they are both forward facing car seats then you have no room for your shoulders. Gotta be worse on a Model 3.

Eh, maybe. Since it is the 1st 6 months, the baby will be in a bucket, rear-facing seat. You might be able to put that in the middle, next to the front-facing toddler seat and then the adult could (very snugly) fit in the other side seat. Regardless, it is gonna be tight.

agree with others. most 4-5 passenger cars will be limited once you add car seats. they're just too bulky for anything else. with that said, even the Y will be questionable on space as it's been reported the "third row" is basically unusable for an average sized adult.

You could get a narrow width car seat like the Diono Radian 3RXT and secure it in the middle seat using seat belts. I did it for about a year and was able to seat two adults on the sides, although not very comfortably.
most narrow car seats don't accommodate an infant/can't be rear facing. until the youngest is past this stage, OP's options will be limited without a third row.

IMO, yes, if the person isn't overly large. I have two car seats in my back seat. I'm a decent sized guy and I'm 5'11" and I can fit without pain. The big benefit is that there is no transmission hump so the middle person can rest their feet flat on the floor. For short trips no problem, but getting OUT will be tough for an older person. That's a problem in any car though.

Suggestion, take your car seat into a tesla store and see how it fits. Keep in mind that a booster or convertible car seat will be smaller. If you can't do that, reach out to your local Tesla club. Somebody will either have car seats in place or will let you dry fit yours.

The middle seat is by far the safest. You could place the infant in the middle and smaller/booster on one side. This may help.

I have 2 high back boosters in my car and honest answer is no. No one, not even another kid would want to sit in the middle. If you have to add a car seat base or rear facing seat it may increase or decrease the space but still not be great. It's an amazing car but maybe the Y is in your future instead.

Nocturnal, I'm 5'11 too, would love to see what seats you use, pics of backseat?
Similar to this one, but only one cupholder so maybe a little narrower? They don't stick out farther than the seatbelt buckles do. Height is more of an issue with your knees hitting your face. This is about the size of your behind. ;) I guess it's all about your comfort level. I wouldn't want to do it everyday, but I probably wouldn't base my car purchase around it either. Maybe OP likes his Mom more than I do.

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Highba...ar+seat&qid=1567719708&s=gateway&sr=8-30&th=1

• Funny
Reactions: Burrito