Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car seat in the front?

kuruma

Aug 29, 2019
Northeast
So, tomorrow we need to transport 3 children under 6 in the car for the first time (emergency foster care has kicked in). We've been given three car seats (only one of which is isofix). Because of the width of the seats, we can't fit them all across the back seat. One has to go in the front.

I thought it would be easy to disable the front passenger airbag but the toggle is greyed out in settings. Is it illegal to disable it in the UK? Can we therefore not have a front facing car seat in the front passenger seat?

The manual is ambiguous as far as I can tell so any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Alex987854

Aug 30, 2019
UK
The airbag should turn off with a child in the seat, however

1616185410272.png

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha

Irata

Oct 16, 2020
UK
The manual states never use child safety seats in the front, which isn't possible in this case. So that's a personal decision.

From the perspective of the law, it's rear facing that needs the airbag off.

kuruma

Aug 29, 2019
Northeast
thanks everyone for your replies. You can tell how many times I've had kids in the car!

We're not going to risk it if we can't disable the airbag which I assume isn't possible from the lack of responses to that effect. We'll just have to draw straws to see which one stays in the garage when we have to go out...

... just kidding ;)

Tiger

Oct 31, 2016
Estonia
It is probably fully automatic Airback passenger side

If you don't have enough weight on it, the airbag is automatically disabled.

Actually, from (Model 3) user manual:

When a child is seated in the front passenger seat (even when the child is seated in a child safety seat or booster seat), you must disable the passenger front airbag to prevent it from injuring the child if a collision occurs. Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Passenger Front Airbag, and before driving, ensure the passenger airbag status on the top of the touchscreen indicates that the airbag is off (see Passenger Front Airbag Status on page 48).

If seating a child in the front passenger seat is legally permissible in your market region, it is the driver's responsibility to ensure that the passenger front airbag is OFF.

WARNING:If seating a child in the front passenger seat is legally permissible in your market region, never seat a child in a child safety seat or a booster seat on the front passenger seat when the airbag is active. Doing so can cause serious injury or death

Last edited:

kuruma

Aug 29, 2019
Northeast
Yeah .. the trouble with the user manual is that it is clearly impossible to follow if the toggle is greyed out. Seeing as how putting a child in the passenger seat is legal in the UK, it would make sense that we can toggle the airbag on and off as required.

As it is, it means that the M3 is preventing us from all getting in the car together. Well that and borrowed car seats that came with the foster kids...

Alex987854

Aug 30, 2019
UK
Yeah .. the trouble with the user manual is that it is clearly impossible to follow if the toggle is greyed out. Seeing as how putting a child in the passenger seat is legal in the UK, it would make sense that we can toggle the airbag on and off as required.

As it is, it means that the M3 is preventing us from all getting in the car together. Well that and borrowed car seats that came with the foster kids...

I've had another look and found this. Might work if the child seat isn't made of lead.

1616277299251.png

nufan

Nov 6, 2019
UK
Kuruma: was it greyed because you had someone heavier than 45kg in the seat when you tried it? The car intermittently bugs me about a seatbelt when I have shopping on the passenger seat - that table effectively states it can measure weight for those criteria posted by Alex, so if someone >45kg was sat there when you tried it... (apologies if that’s already occurred to you).

An aside: Not challenging it, but out of just not knowing, anyone know the mechanics of why the airbag is a danger to a front-facing child in that seat in a child seat?

Is it head-height not being where the airbag is aimed and the child going underneath? Or something to do with the deployment vs a child with less mass = a large acceleration on the child’s brain or something? Or being smothered by being smaller than the design-target?

nufan

Nov 6, 2019
UK
Or, reading Tiger’s link, didn’t have someone >9kg? Bet you have to be between the thresholds to have the option (although I may lose my money there...)

nufan

Nov 6, 2019
UK
I just tried it this morning - the control was greyed out until I put pin-to-drive in (didn’t need to engage Drive). I had a 20kg passenger who may or may not have been detected by the car. I had them jump off the seat and it seemed not to change the control’s availability - hope that helps you.

CMc1

supercharge.info editor
Aug 2, 2019
North, UK
It’s only greyed out if NOT in park. Must be in park to enable / disable airbag (for some reason last few loaners have had passenger airbag disabled)

kuruma

Aug 29, 2019
Northeast

eureka!

So, get this, when the car is parked, it's not in Park. How stupid is that?

I was leaning over the passenger seat trying to toggle the switch. If you sit in the driver's seat (with the charge cable unplugged) the car will go into Park if you press the brake. So, there are a number of things that need to be in play before the car self-indentifies as in Park even if it's parked. Yeesh...

Once the knows it's in Park, you can toggle the airbag off.

The Easter holidays are now looking a lot more livable.

Thanks so much everyone for your help here.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC