Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car seat in the front?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t have to.

But you have to...
er... you don't but you do??

Could I just point out that I'm not talking about when we go from driving to park. I'm talking about when you're moving car seats around as you prepare for your next journey i.e. from cold to park.

What's the last thing you do when you put your car on the drive? You put it in park, right? So, it would make logical sense that when you next get into it and it powers up, it would be in park. But it isn't. You have to hit the brake pedal.... or at least you did when I posted my original message.

This is counterintuitive for anyone who has driven automatic cars i.e. cars that have a Park gear mode.

er... you don't but you do??

Could I just point out that I'm not talking about when we go from driving to park. I'm talking about when you're moving car seats around as you prepare for your next journey i.e. from cold to park.

What's the last thing you do when you put your car on the drive? You put it in park, right? So, it would make logical sense that when you next get into it and it powers up, it would be in park. But it isn't. You have to hit the brake pedal.... or at least you did when I posted my original message.

This is counterintuitive for anyone who has driven automatic cars i.e. cars that have a Park gear mode.
You have to power the car otherwise it is off. Just like hitting the space bar or any keys in computer to wake up. Is that a problem? Cmon, that is too much of nitpicking.

Well, to be fair, I would have thought that opening the car door would be the equivalent of hitting the space bar.

When I get in my vehicle, the screen powers up, but where the PNDR etc icons are, it's blank. As proof that the car is powered in some way, I can navigate to the air bag screen, but because it's not apparently in Park, the button's greyed out. You need to hit the brake pedal to get P to show on the display which is unintuitive.

Also, ever tried putting it in park when you have a charging cable connected? Impossible despite the fact that if you've got a charging cable in, you must obviously be parked. In this scenario, the user has to get out, walk round, unplug the cable, come back, hit the brake pedal to get the car to recognise it's parked and only then en/disable the airbag.

Sorry, but this is all screwed up from a UX point of view, and nitpicking is what makes for a good UX.

Also, ever tried putting it in park when you have a charging cable connected? Impossible despite the fact that if you've got a charging cable in, you must obviously be parked. In this scenario, the user has to get out, walk round, unplug the cable, come back, hit the brake pedal to get the car to recognise it's parked and only then en/disable the airbag.

Sorry, but this is all screwed up from a UX point of view, and nitpicking is what makes for a good UX.
I thought you first put it in park and then connect the charging cable than the other way round???

You press the brake pedal to prepare the car so it is ready to drive, obviously you don't use easy entry, whenever I get in, seatbelt then press the brake so my seat goes to the driving position (also closer to the screen for any adjustments), so for you to change airbag settings it needs to be 'ready to drive' but not IN drive.

I thought you first put it in park and then connect the charging cable than the other way round???
That's exactly my point. You do have to put it in Park... and if you have done, why doesn't it stay there when you return to the car hours later and want to add/remove a car seat and change airbag settings?

It all comes down to programming. Instead of the programming logic being IF car is in drive or reverse DISABLE airbag button, they've got it set as IF car is parked ENABLE airbag button. The former reflects the reality of why an airbag button would be disabled but is marginally harder to code, the latter is simpler to code but does not reflect the reality of the driver's experience.