TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car seat latch and seatbelt warning.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ny3ranger, May 22, 2018.

1. ny3ranger

ny3ranger Member

I put in a car seat in the latch on the the edge seat. I thought connecting the latch would stop the seatbelt warning from showing up When my kid is in the seat. I ended up having to connect the seat belt behind the car seat so the warning doesn’t show up. Is that what others are doing?

2. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

On my S with a car seat installed with Latch I never get a seatbelt warning. I'm not sure if it has a sensor on the latch itself (which seems unlikely) or if it is going by the constant weight of the car seat to determine that a car seat is installed.

3. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

Fairly sure it’s based entirely on the weight sensor.

You can buy almost any loose seat belt buckle on eBay and insert that to keep the warning from coming up.

4. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

I believe 65lbs is what the trigger is. Depending on how tight some people have latched theirs in will cause the warning to go off, or not.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not on my car it ain't. My 90 year old mother rides with us in the back and if she rests her hand (leans a bit) on the seat next to her, I get the warning (I have the 3-wide bench seat in the second row). No way she's putting 65 lbs. of pressure there. She barely weighs 100.

6. Helmuth

Helmuth Member

Is there a way to permanently (beginning of each trip) get rid of the seat belt message on the IC? It’s pretty annoying while using the navigation (I put it on the left side). Some 3rd row passengers don’t like to be buckled in...

7. Terthen

Terthen Member

That’s what I resorted to to stop the warning from showing up.

That’s a fantastic idea, thanks!

8. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

I suspect the weight sensor trigger is around 25lbs. That’s the weight of our dog and will trigger the sensor as often as not when he settles into a seat.

9. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

I know it's not mandatory everywhere but I never understood why people don't wear seat belts.
    You should always buckle up.

10. Helmuth

Helmuth Member

I know and that’s the first thing before I start driving!

But I have a few friends they never use seat belts and I don’t want to argue with them...
    I think it should be mandatory!!! Seatbelts would safe thousands of lives every year.

11. arubinst

arubinst Member

Isn't it? It is here in Switzerland.

By the way, if they catch a passenger here not wearing the seatbelts, it is the passenger who gets a fine and not to the driver of the vehicle.

12. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

I don't start car until all seatbelts are on. My wife's aunt like to unbuckle wile driving too.

13. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

Same here and this is how to skip the argument:

It’s your car. If they want to ride in it they buckle up or walk. There will be no conversation about it.

• Like x 2
  14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Same here in Ontario, Canada unless it's a child... then the driver gets the fine.

15. TJtv

TJtv Member

It’s a solution but not a great solution. When the seatbelt is buckled it disables easy entry. It also makes the second row seats move much more slowly, which is annoying for people who have to wait for them to move out of the way before getting in the 3rd row.

16. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

True. Then the only option is to clear the warning when it comes up with a long press of the left scroll wheel. Clears it for the drive but will reappear on next startup.

17. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

THIS

Best thing would be to just find smarter friends.

The political answer is "I feel uncomfortable and would drive distracted from the stress of unbuckled passengers".

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Awesome! Great to know. And to be clear... my issue is belted rear seat passengers who lean against an adjacent seat causing the warning to keep flashing up on my dash. Very annoying.

• Like x 1
  19. TJtv

TJtv Member

In my experience this only seems to help for a little while. It seems like the latched in carseat is right on the boundary of being detected or not. So if you clear it with a long press of the let scroll wheel to make the warning disappear - if the seat then moves slightly so that the warning is "legit" gone, and then moves slightly back into the position where it generates the warning again it comes right back! It's very frustrating, I often have to clear the warning 5-10 times on a 20 minute drive.

20. crobin

crobin Member

Call up your service center, you have a bad sensor in the latch.