TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car Seat Recommendations? Second Row, Front Facing.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by urbanscribe, Sep 12, 2015.

1. urbanscribe

urbanscribe Member

picking up my P90D this week
    very excited
    need a set of car seats for the new ride

2 x 2yr old twins
    can't wait to get the reaction video recorded.

anyway
    looking for experiences with car seats which
    - offer best of class safety (particularly given the likely "insane"/"ludicrous" shenanigans)
    - blend in well with the MS interior
    - price/value

considered but passed on the 3rd row back facing factory install seats

2. KenN

KenN Member

Diono Radian.

3. kf93

kf93 Member

I've heard very good things about the Diono, but haven't had one. We had all three kids in Britax. Used two different convertible seats and two larger booster seats over the years since they recommend not using them for more than 6 years. They tend to be wider, here's a good discussion of comparisons between the two. Since your kids are already 2 years old I would vote for the Diono. Diono vs. Britax Clicktight: Best Convertible Car Seats (Ratings/Reviews/Prices)

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I have two of these. VERY heavy. Best safety rating.

5. ccharleb

ccharleb Member

Next Gen seats in the back with Clek Foonf (Clek) for my 3 years old girl. Great product!
    Christian

6. Ed Chan

Ed Chan Member

I have two Britax Frontier seats (forward facing harness to booster) for my 4 and 3 year olds... They are great, except they leave a big horizontal indentation in the headrest due to the way they are designed. I chose them originally because the top tether routes around the headrest... Oh well, they are very safe and very easy to install with the clicktight mechanism. I recommend overall, if you don't mind the strange indentation on the headrest... Sorry, I don't have pics, and I don't intend to remove the seats just to take pictures!

Ed

7. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

+1. Have this in my Model S. It's very well built and safe, plus it's a bit narrower than other seats allowing it to fit well in the Model S.

8. anthony

anthony Member

While large, I like the Recaro, partly because it says Recaro, but also because the latches are higher quality than my other couple of seats.

9. gmontem

gmontem Model S P01707

I have two red Diono Radian RXT car seats, so make that a +2 for Dino. My 4-year old daughter has been sitting on hers since she was 1.

10. sundoc

sundoc Member

+1

Ive actually got 5 of these... for multiple cars

11. nishy1

nishy1 Member

12. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Just to jump aboard the bandwagon... I have two Diano Radians in the back seat.

13. davidc18

davidc18 Member

With 2 car seats in the back, there is not room for a 3 person in the back seat. With our family of 5, we really need extra room the X should offer. We tried several different seats, including the Radian (which we returned). We ended up with these from Target. We also needed one seat belt extender -http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J6JRMM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01 and these seat cushion protectors -http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFQ5BM0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

IMG_20150913_082417.jpg IMG_20150913_082431.jpg

14. cantdecide

cantdecide Member

We have some britax, some diono... Prefer diono but they are heavy.

15. nishy1

nishy1 Member

Just out of interest when did your car enter production? Mine was ordered 8/27 and started production 9/2. Hoping it's done this week. Same mode (p90d)

16. AGM

AGM Member

We have the diono as well as a recaro. My 2 year old likes the recaro better but it does take up more space (its wider) than the Dio. Cant go wrong either way, but if I could get only one I would take the Recaro.

17. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

We're able to fit two Diano Radians in the rear (behind passenger) and center position, with enough room for a third passenger to be safely belted behind the driver. (It's tight, but usable for short to medium trips.) Per the install guide, you can put the two seats next to each other, as opposed to the outside positions. Note the middle seat is installed with the belt while the rear passenger side is LATCH. Also, for whatever reason, when using a center seat, it's apparently not recommended to have one behind the driver. See: Tesla Model S Review: The Only Emissions Come from the Kids

18. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

We could fit three people, on short drives, but it's not comfortable with two car seats

19. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

try the bubblebum we can 3 in the 2nd row with that