TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car Seat Top Strap Solution

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by rgedad, Jul 10, 2018.

1. rgedad

rgedad Member

Sooo - the primary reason we purchased the Model X was to haul the two grandkids around in their car seats. It is so much easier to put them in, and take them out, given the Falcon Wing Doors (FWD).

However, the design of the rear car seat is not amenable to the top strap of the car seats. In a normal car this strap goes through the headrest posts. In the Model X the strap is supposed to go over the outside shoulder of the car seat and all the way down to the bottom rear center of the seat to the top strap latch point.

What I found was that the top strap worked it's way down the side of the seat and became virtually useless.

My solution was to go to a company called Strapworks and purchased by a 3/4" wide by 2' long strap with 4" loops at both ends (~$8). I put the top strap through the two loops and put the strap around the seat headrest. The strap holds the car seat top strap in place and will not let it slide off to the side. In the event of a crash, the top strap will take the load, as the car seat and latch system are designed.

I would highly recommend this approach to anyone using a car seat in the rear seats.

2. mxnym

mxnym Member

I install and remove three car seats in my X regularly and have never had this problem. If you have the second row bench, I suspect that you are not tightening your seats enough and they may actually be dangerous for your grandkids. The seats should not be able to move more than an inch in any direction when properly strapped in. If you have the monopost seats, the design may be different and that may not be your problem, but I'd recommend you have someone verify your car seat installation is safe and secure, such service is usually available for free in several places.

3. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I think it comes down to ease. I have the monoposts and find that I am able to get the top latches secure but it takes more effort to get it really right as they are inclined to slide down instead of compressing like an over the top strap. (Amplified if you have glossy/slippery backs)

This isn’t an issue in the S or other traditional over the top rear anchors where it’s able to compress downwards on the headrest. A double strap would definitely take some guess work out of it so good find OP.

4. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Vendor

My X is 6 seater and I installed a car seat in the 2nd monopost seat. I was able to securely attach top tether strap and tighten it on the outer side of the headrest. So far no issues. You could tighten the strap harder.