Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car shifts into Park when seat belt not fastened

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a problem that ~may~ have been resolved with the Dec 24 SW update (I think 2021.44.6), only because I haven't encountered it since then.
Tesla service has explained that if 2 of 3 of the following conditions aren't met, the car will shift into park (for safety reasons):
1) Driver seat belt fastened, 2) Butt in driver seat, 3) driver door closed.
Additionally, car needs to be at a speed of less than 1 or 2 MPH.

My issue: on occasion, if my belt isn't fastened, but if the door is closed and I am firmly planted in the seat, the car will shift into Park (if I'm going slow enough).
I know....you're supposed to wear your belt when you drive. But I don't feel the need (and it shouldn't be necessary) to put the belt on when simply backing out of the garage.

Again, I haven't encountered this since the last update, so this post might be moot, but I'm coming up to 50k miles and want to address this before warranty runs out.

Has anyone else encountered this? Or can anyone confirm that Tesla addressed it in the last update?
THANKS!

Reactions: ZOEs_EndGame
Looks like this might have been resolved with later SW (2021.44.25.2 or thereabouts).
I tested this further today and found that 1) belt unbuckled, 2) butt out of seat, 3) door closed, 4) car stationary but in Drive, and 5) foot on brake (maybe new criteria) doesn't shift into Park.
But also, doesn't shift into park when butt in seat, belt unbuckled, door closed as I mentioned in original post.