Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Show Poster: Draft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some nits:

Operating cost is more than fuel cost. Tires and maintenance are part of Operating Cost.

Fuel cost: At the EPA 380 Wh/mile rating, and EPA $0.11/kWh spec, that's 4.2 cents per mile.

Point taken. I'll change the wording. BTW this is a local car show, so I'm using local electric prices.

smorgasboard said:
Fuel Economy: EPA rating is 89 MPGe. From where did you get 95MPGe?

60kWh pack. This was from when I had info for different pack sizes on the poster.

smorgasboard said:
The 300 mile range claim should not be used, IMO. No-one gets 300 miles in Range mode in real life. How many even get 265?

The 300 is qualified by "@55mph". I easily surpass rated range in my daily driving, just about every day. So I have no problem stating 265 either. No ICE gets its rated MPGs with the A/C blasting either. By this argument ICEs shouldn't report MPGs either.

smorgasboard said:
Who cares about drag co-efficients?

Me, for one. I live near NASA Langley and a major shipyard. Lots of aerodynamicists around here. Why do car magazines list it if nobody cares? It's a technical achievement, plain and simple, to have the lowest drag coefficient of any car on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

@Todd - One more thought on the pictures. If I were doing it, I'd be have the spoiler on the Sig and the 19" wheels on the blue (or vice-versa as you prefer). The idea being to let people see both flavors and the more observant visitors will ask about it, and indirectly educate others. In short, it's like an easter egg for some visitors and an excuse for you to talk about it in the presence of the general crowd.

Let me call back my photographer and we'll do another shoot :).

Understood, but I decided to take gallery pics from Tesla's site only. Hopefully they don't have a problem with me using the pictures/logo on a single poster for a show...I suppose technically it's probably illegal, but for the good of the company and the car.

Understood, but I decided to take gallery pics from Tesla's site only. Hopefully they don't have a problem with me using the pictures/logo on a single poster for a show...I suppose technically it's probably illegal, but for the good of the company and the car.

An email to George B. with an attachment should clear this up. Not that I think there is a problem as it should be covered under fair use. You're basically doing a review in person rather than in text.

The 300 is qualified by "@55mph". I easily surpass rated range in my daily driving, just about every day. So I have no problem stating 265 either. No ICE gets its rated MPGs with the A/C blasting either. By this argument ICEs shouldn't report MPGs either.

Everyone should just show EPA MPGs. In my view, the 300 number is simply setting people up for disappointment later, and Tesla is doing themselves a disservice.

Lots of aerodynamicists around here. Why do car magazines list it if nobody cares?

They do it to sound impressive. Not too many car posters have the Cd listed, though.

Everyone should just show EPA MPGs. In my view, the 300 number is simply setting people up for disappointment later, and Tesla is doing themselves a disservice.

Yeah I'll think about this one a bit. I guess the main difference is that very few people care about "miles per tank" in an ICE, but miles per charge is always the question. I'll probably just end up listing the 265 mi EPA range.

They do it to sound impressive. Not too many car posters have the Cd listed, though.

Of course, not too many cars have the lowest drag coefficient of any car on the road :). I frankly think it's just an interesting tidbit about the car.

Understood, but I decided to take gallery pics from Tesla's site only.
Good point - I never noticed before that none of the Model S Gallery pictures show the spoiler. Features doesn't either. Nor Options/Pricing. Nor Specs.

I guess that leaves Design Studio, which no longer has the Sig Red for the U.S. market.

Weird, nowhere on the TeslaMotors.com site can I see my configuration. Not sure how I feel about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I'll think about this one a bit. I guess the main difference is that very few people care about "miles per tank" in an ICE, but miles per charge is always the question. I'll probably just end up listing the 265 mi EPA range.
If gas stations were as sparse and (relatively) efficient as charging locations, people would definitely be worried about miles per tank.

Yeah I'll think about this one a bit. I guess the main difference is that very few people care about "miles per tank" in an ICE,

I dunno about that one. I constantly get "How far can I go on a tank of gas?" I also get people who brag that they can go X miles on a tank in the their sub-12 mpg vehicle, just as if miles per tank were equal to miles per gallon.

Some nits:
Fuel cost: At the EPA 380 Wh/mile rating, and EPA $0.11/kWh spec, that's 4.2 cents per mile.

Not true: lots of experience on these boards shows that the maximum useable energy in an 85kWh pack is about 81.5kWh. Divide by the 265mi EPA range and you get 307.5kWh/mi. So at $0.11/kWh, that's $0.034/mi for electricity. Even at the real-world kWh/mi that folks have reported, it's likely to be under $0.04/mi. So you could claim 3-4 cents/mi for electricity at $0.11/kWh and not have to fudge.

OK, I've incorporated the latest changes. I think I'm done with this thing:

modelSPosterFinal.jpg

If anyone wants it to make their own changes or to use, feel free to download it (~19 MB):

http://we.tl/BVGsPcRsOe

hmm this remind me so much about M$, way to much text, what is with all the different formatting
cant we just say it is fun to drive
I especially hate when a sales person say this product is much better than the competition, because of X,Y,Z reason, what are you afraid of
the car is so good that you dont need to trash the competition, it will only show your own short comings
facts alone don't sell cars, emotions do

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm this remind me so much about M$, way to much text, what is with all the different formatting

Mark if you have ever stood unpaid all day talking about your car and all of it's benefits you would love something like this. There are times when you have there of four people asking completely different questions. Sometimes it's nice to just refer the fifth person to the sign.

Also there are some people who just are quiet/shy who will just creep up and read all the specs and either speak up and ask a question that is 1. Not contained in what they just read or 2. Explicitly stated in what they just read. OR they just sulk away.

After a few Tesla showings we made up sheets to put in the windows. And nearly every sentence we speak has the word "fun" in it.

Last edited:
Excellent work, thanks.

Did you use an online service to print this out poster size?

The sizing template is from www.vistaprint.com

- - - Updated - - -

I especially hate when a sales person say this product is much better than the competition, because of X,Y,Z reason, what are you afraid of
the car is so good that you dont need to trash the competition, it will only show your own short comings
facts alone don't sell cars, emotions do

Dude, chill.

1. I am not a graphic designer. I would very much look forward to seeing your improved design.

2. This is not a sales brochure, or a marketing poster. It's an informational poster--similar to when you go to an aviation museum and there's a sign telling you about the aircraft.

3. All the different formatting? There is a total of one font on the entire poster, and 3 colors (except for the photographs).

4. Where did I say it's better than the competition? I mentioned that it rivals the M5. That is a similar performance metric, and most car show attendees will be familiar with that car.

Seriously. I'll wait for your much better design.