Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Show Poster: Draft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably varies a bit by jurisdiction, but "nominal" utility voltages are 120/240 and have been for some time.

IMHO, although all of the numbers are essentially correct, I'd match what was on the Tesla site for the least confusion. Prospective buyers may not be very electrically savvy (and 110/240 happens to be how I've always heard them referred to).

Great updates for the poster! Thank you...

-m

IMHO, although all of the numbers are essentially correct, I'd match what was on the Tesla site for the least confusion. Prospective buyers may not be very electrically savvy (and 110/240 happens to be how I've always heard them referred to).

Technically, that can't be. North American systems use a split phase system where each leg is 120 volts and are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Two combined 120 volt legs yield 240 volts, while each leg to neutral yields 120 volts. If each leg was 110 volts, the combined would be 220. Sorry to nit-pick, I'm an electric utility guy.

Technically, that can't be. North American systems use a split phase system where each leg is 120 volts and are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Two combined 120 volt legs yield 240 volts, while each leg to neutral yields 120 volts. If each leg was 110 volts, the combined would be 220. Sorry to nit-pick, I'm an electric utility guy.

I'm in agreement with you... it is technically incorrect, but from my experience (and apparently Tesla's as that's how they list it on their web site) the "110/240" description is probably most widely understood by the lay person--so use it on the poster. That's all I'm saying.

-m

I really think they're simply quoting the range of "standard" voltages over which the system works. It works as low as 110 and as high as 240.

Some places have 110/220 - that's in range. Others have 120/240 - that's in range, too.

I really think they're simply quoting the range of "standard" voltages over which the system works. It works as low as 110 and as high as 240.

Some places have 110/220 - that's in range. Others have 120/240 - that's in range, too.

Thought this might be of interest. This is an excerpt from CSA Standard CAN3-C235-83 which shows Nominal, Normal and Extreme operating ranges for various system voltages. There is probably something similar, if not identical in the US. Utilities are required to correct situations where voltages fall in the extreme range "on a planned and programmed basis". If voltages fall even further outside of the Extreme Range, utilities must take corrective action asap.

8-18-2015 2-22-58 PM.jpg

I've just revised it using 120/240... although I'm sure it won't please everyone, at least the two numbers are consistent with one-another. I also corrected a few other items (including one typo -- "font" motor instead of "front" motor). Changed the Model S photo so that it was facing the same direction as the Roadster and X. Changed Model 3 text to say "Estimated 200+ mile range."

I'll probably send this to Staples for printing tonight or tomorrow. Open to any other suggestions. :)

Same URL: http://beta.cermaktech.com/temp/Mike's Tesla Poster.pdf

I've just revised it using 120/240... although I'm sure it won't please everyone, at least the two numbers are consistent with one-another. I also corrected a few other items (including one typo -- "font" motor instead of "front" motor). Changed the Model S photo so that it was facing the same direction as the Roadster and X. Changed Model 3 text to say "Estimated 200+ mile range."

I'll probably send this to Staples for printing tonight or tomorrow. Open to any other suggestions. :)

Same URL: http://beta.cermaktech.com/temp/Mike's Tesla Poster.pdf

Thanks for keeping the size small :)

Tech:
Whenever I talk about my future Tesla to folks... what they want to know is essentially, how many miles can it go on the current equivalent cost of a gallon of gasoline. That is to say, $2.60 of electricity gets you how far in miles on average? Folks ask this question in various circuitous ways... but that is a key bit of data for them. This information would be very regionally oriented.... as electricity and gasoline costs on a delivered and taxed basis vary greatly... here in CT for instance we are generally at 26 cents per kWh all in and regular gasoline with taxes is about $2.60 per gallon.

You have done a fine, fine job.

Again, how would one edit this to change the 85 to some other S variant? What software did you use to edit and create it?
Also if editable, can you add on perhaps a second page which would not be intended to print but would contain all the other Model S Logos for the various models of S? Such as the 90D, P90D, P85D, P85, 85D, 70, 60, 40 P85+ etc.? In that way folks could personalize it for their own Model S by having a local cut and past library of graphical assets.
Thanks,
Art

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this. I printed a version of Leilani Münter's poster a few years ago and while it has served me well, it is getting long in the tooth. The one thing I'd like on the one I print, though is a small graphic that shows the battery box and the motors highlighted in red. Not this one, but you get the idea:

TTest.jpg

It makes it very easy to folks to point out where the battery is and how small the motors are. Any way to add that? Show is easier than tell.

• MADE IN AMERICA, first bullet - "TSLA"
  • MADE IN AMERICA, second bullet - Might want to add the word "currently". Roadsters were built in a variety of places and future factories (China, etc.) will be non-Fremont for S, X, etc.
  • 100% ELECTRIC - Probably worth noting that an adapter is available for CHAdeMO charging.
  • 100% ELECTRIC - If you're going to list, might as well include coal. I would reorder loosely from "best" to "worst".
  • Middle section: Recommend switching from "Horsepower (rear + front)" to "Motor power" at least until the P85D 691hp drama gets resolved.

- - - Updated - - -

The one thing I'd like on the one I print, though is a small graphic that shows the battery box and the motors highlighted in red.
The middle section is "skewed" right -- which looks good. It also allows room to put a "watermark" style rendering of the graphic.

Thanks for the corrections, Brian!

New URL for the 85:
http://beta.cermaktech.com/TechGuyTesla/Poster/85.pdf

I would love it if someone could switch out the 85 for the 85D. I'm going to try to do my first car show this Fall and I'd love to be able to use it. Great poster!

I just created an 85D version for you, but discovered that Tesla has changed the specs they show in the Design Studio. No longer do they show 1/4 mile time or motor torque... also, they seem to show only a combined hp for the 85D (as opposed to separate for P90D)... not sure if there is another "official" source for those numbers.

http://beta.cermaktech.com/TechGuyTesla/Poster/85D.pdf

Art -- you can use a program like Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw to edit PDFs. I'll work on uploading my original files (in Corel), but for now the files I used will be at:
Index of /TechGuyTesla/Poster

Thanks for the corrections, Brian!

New URL for the 85:
http://beta.cermaktech.com/TechGuyTesla/Poster/85.pdf

I just created an 85D version for you, but discovered that Tesla has changed the specs they show in the Design Studio. No longer do they show 1/4 mile time or motor torque... also, they seem to show only a combined hp for the 85D (as opposed to separate for P90D)... not sure if there is another "official" source for those numbers.

http://beta.cermaktech.com/TechGuyTesla/Poster/85D.pdf

Art -- you can use a program like Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw to edit PDFs. I'll work on uploading my original files (in Corel), but for now the files I used will be at:
Index of /TechGuyTesla/Poster

You are awesome! I just literally got the registration letter in for the car show today. Thanks so much!