Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car shut down in Autopilot/Autosteer, had to get out of vehicle to restart.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the interstate, using autosteer/autopilot, even though I had my hand on the wheel I occasionally had to wiggle the wheel a bit extra when I got a warning. Then I get a series of warnings- 'Reduced Power', 'Shutting down', car undriveable, a little bit of a shudder when I tried to accelerate.

It reduced power and essentially went into neutral it seemed and I coasted to a stop. Luckily there was a safe place to pull over.
Battery was at 70%.
The warning said vehicle may restart if I get out and get back in vehicle... so I got out, walked around the car, got back in.... and everything worked fine.

????

I assume that this is the kind of thing that would happen if you feel asleep while using autopilot- but I didn't get that warning, and I could use autopilot right away when I got back in- no "Autopilot limited for rest of drive" type of warning....

My guess is a bug triggered the shutdown routine by accident?

I've had no problems since...

This sounds like this other issue I saw on the forums, that said the exact same error message, with the same symptoms... It was a high voltage fault... It said to get out and back in, becuase opening/closing the door (while in Park and/or triggering the weight sensor in the seats) resets the high voltage system.... I think in the other thread, it was caused by a fault in the main drive motor/invertor, or something like that. I think the fact that you were in autosteer/autopilot was just coincidental/unrelated.

I believe there was some sort of sensor failure.... something about an error in the high voltage system. You have to 'get out of the car and walk around it once' to fix it... meaning you have to shut the car down with door shut long enough for the car to truly turn off, that reset the error- i've not had a single problem since

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
On the interstate, using autosteer/autopilot, even though I had my hand on the wheel I occasionally had to wiggle the wheel a bit extra when I got a warning. Then I get a series of warnings- 'Reduced Power', 'Shutting down', car undriveable, a little bit of a shudder when I tried to accelerate.

It reduced power and essentially went into neutral it seemed and I coasted to a stop. Luckily there was a safe place to pull over.
Battery was at 70%.
The warning said vehicle may restart if I get out and get back in vehicle... so I got out, walked around the car, got back in.... and everything worked fine.

????

I assume that this is the kind of thing that would happen if you feel asleep while using autopilot- but I didn't get that warning, and I could use autopilot right away when I got back in- no "Autopilot limited for rest of drive" type of warning....

My guess is a bug triggered the shutdown routine by accident?

I've had no problems since...
This looks like a major issue, unfortunately. Please make a service appointment ASAP. Indicate the car was undrivable. If possible, I would strongly recommend not to drive the car until Tesla has a look at error codes and advises you on what to do next. Again, this is not a Ford Mach-E. If Tesla shuts down, there is a more serious issue than software. In case of a sensor failure, Tesla usually tells you specifically, such and such sensor failed.

This looks like a major issue, unfortunately. Please make a service appointment ASAP. Indicate the car was undrivable. If possible, I would strongly recommend not to drive the car until Tesla has a look at error codes and advises you on what to do next. Again, this is not a Ford Mach-E. If Tesla shuts down, there is a more serious issue than software. In case of a sensor failure, Tesla usually tells you specifically, such and such sensor failed.
Lol. It was posted and happened a year ago. Guessing he figured it out.

I believe there was some sort of sensor failure.... something about an error in the high voltage system. You have to 'get out of the car and walk around it once' to fix it... meaning you have to shut the car down with door shut long enough for the car to truly turn off, that reset the error- i've not had a single problem since
I think of these things the way I think about my computer. If the complexity of the system and a certain degree of noise from the sensors creates a glitch that a reboot will fix... I don't worry about it. But obviously it is different if it does not resolve, error does not completely clear-warning messages and all, if it recurs, indicates a failure of a 'real' part of the car, not just a temporary failure of algorithms of software.