Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car shutting down - PULL OVER SAFELY on the freeway 3 days after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I get it for sure. Nice to see them take care of you. We have to hope a $60,000 car doesn’t leave many drivers stranded. I can only imagine what you had to go through. Meanwhile, my sub $25,000 vehicles have never left me stranded!

I’ve had expensive cars strand me before and never once has a dealer brought me a higher priced loaner on a flatbed to wherever I am! There were definitely inconveniences involved, but I always felt Tesla was making their absolute best effort to resolve the situation which made it much easier to tolerate. Like I’ve told the service manager before; they took a terribly negative situation and managed to turn it into a net positive experience for me. Very impressive.

I just had a similar issue. was on the expressway going at 45 MPH and got the message "UNDRIVABLE - PULL OVER SAFELY" but i was not able to turn on the flashers or give the signal. I was in the left lane and I had to go to the 5th lane. Very scary experience especially i had 3 and 7 years old in the back seat. I got to the 5th lane and car just would not move the guy in the back almost hit me. Call roadside assistant they told me to just reboot the car and you will be fine. I told them i need them to come to tow the car. will find out the real issue tomorrow when they open the service center.

Finally, have an update. "Good afternoon sir. The team has ordered a rear drive unit for your vehicle. We expect to have an update on when we expect that part to arrive on Monday. Once we get an ETA on that rear drive unit, we will update you. Thank you" Let's hope this will not take weeks.

I went through something similar. Turns out that when they assembled my car, they didn’t snap a connector completely closed and it slowly wiggled and disconnected. It was a ‘Penthouse HV’ connector. Most of the electronics are located under the rear seat. The SC went through the whole car with a fine toothed comb and made sure all my connections were snapped closed. Now it’s problem free :)

Quality control issue during assembly.

I hope yours is as easy to fix. Good luck.

Is it easy to pop open the rear seat and check connections yourself? I'm getting a M3 at the end of the month, and I live a LONG way from a service center.

It’s probably not hard to look but be careful when messing near the battery center like that. I wouldn’t.
Keeping in mind that I periodically do electrical work in my own home (including the EV charger station install) and have a computer engineering background so am not a complete boob at wires and stuff:

The potential to stubble across 400VDC that could empty at what might as well be infinite current, for brief moments anyway, will certainly keep me from casually prying up the seats, opening stuff up underneath, and poking around. Maybe someday when there's something resembling a mechanic's service manual (official or at least reputable) but that is not today.

Last edited:
Am I the only one thinking that these "car shut down" posters tend to be new members with their first post?

Here we go with the conspiracy theorists again. :rolleyes:
If I was a brand new owner of my first Tesla, and I suffered a catastrophic issue with the car, my first impulse after having my immediate issues taken care of (towing to service center/etc), would be to research the problem online.
First hits after a Google search:
tesla.jpg

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Best of luck. My Model X stranded me in a parking lot with less than 100 miles. Luckily it was parked. But it would not come out of park into drive or reverse. The over the phone service guys played with it for an hour and declared they could do no more. So they called a tow truck to take it to the dealer and get me home. But since this is the Bay Area and it was 3:30 they said it would be a 3 hour wait. I told them I could walk the 3 miles home. They had me lock the key fob in the back.

4 days later they called me and said come and get your car. When I asked them what was wrong they said it was a "unexpected fault that they do not expect to occur again. The car found the low power system engaged when it should not and could not activate the high power system". So far the fault has not reoccurred, but I do not drive the car that far. Only 700 miles since end of May.

Service center called yesterday saying it's been fixed yesterday but will do extended test drive just to make sure. I checked the Tesla app today and looks like they are still working on it. They were intentionally draining the battery by turning heater on high and also upgraded firmware from 26.3 to 28.1.

I had somewhat of the same issue Monday morning 8/6 when charging my vehicle overnight.

I scheduled the charge to start at 1:00am and when I woke up my phone had a notice that the charge had been interrupted around 5:30am. I tried to initiate the charge from my phone with no success. When I went to the vehicle I unplugged the charge cable and as I sat in the vehicle two faults appeared on my screen; "Car Needs Service" and "Cannot Maintain Vehicle Power."

At that point I tied a soft reboot of the center touch screen which did not fix the issue and I also tried full power down under the settings in the vehicle. Both reboots did not fix the issue.

I called Tesla roadside and a flat bed towed my car to local service station.
On a side note the tow truck driver put the vehicle into tow mode but there was a clicking sounds when rolling the vehicle out of the garage towards the rear wheels. Sounded like the motor did not fully go into neutral.

I received text this AM 8/7 that they were unsure what caused the issues and they were investigating further. They said they are replacing the drive unit as well as the electronic fuse assembly. When I mentioned to the service rep that seemed like an extensive repair for something that happened when the vehicle was parked and charging he said it was definitely unusual.
The drive unit they have in stock but fuse assembly needed to be ordered and should arrive later this week.
I was on firmware version 2018.26.3 be4b11e, VIN 11XXX, RWD
Loaner car I received was a Model S 75

Attachments

• IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 87
Latest update they will be replacing the HV battery as well. Anything I need to watch out for? Saw on Model S threads there are different revisions and refurbished batteries but I'm guessing Model 3 is too new for that.
Maybe I got one of the Tripp batteries lol..

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: neroden
Take it back and tell em to ‘fix that sh*t’!
I asked politely but at first they just told me to schedule a separate appointment 2 weeks out. They deny it was caused by the repair and even unwilling to acknowledge it's a real problem. I'm glad another service center near my work helped me out and actually measured the range of motion with a tape measure and concluded the issue is very obvious and real..
I had to escalate the issue for the original service center to take it back in for repair.

I asked politely but at first they just told me to schedule a separate appointment 2 weeks out. They deny it was caused by the repair and even unwilling to acknowledge it's a real problem. I'm glad another service center near my work helped me out and actually measured the range of motion with a tape measure and concluded the issue is very obvious and real..
I had to escalate the issue for the original service center to take it back in for repair.
Then them doesn’t matter if it was caused by the repair or not. Bumper to bumper warranty IN EFFECT! :)

I'm a new member posting about the same situation. Last week when I went to start my car after shopping I stepped on the brake. Heard and felt a loud clunk and then my car wouldn't do anything. The screen was on and displaying a warning message. Tesla's had the car for a week. They said I blew the fuse to the big battery. What they haven't been able to tell me is what caused that fuse to blow. Until they can tell me that I won't be comfortable driving the car. Has anyone who has had this failure received an precise explanation of what went wrong? I had my 3 for 6 months and had always had issues with the phone key not working. Then this. Irony is we got the car because my husband was so thrilled with his S. I am not a happy camper.

Service center called and said they will replace the HV control module this time, and think the 2 break downs are unrelated. Maybe I should buy the lottery lol..
The supercharging function on my Model S loaner also stopped working.. vehicle support told me to bring it back to service center.

Dude - sounds like if it weren't for bad
luck you'd have no luck at all!

It seems like you are not letting all of this get you down - great way to be.

Mike