Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car shutting down - PULL OVER SAFELY on the freeway 3 days after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through something similar. Turns out that when they assembled my car, they didn’t snap a connector completely closed and it slowly wiggled and disconnected. It was a ‘Penthouse HV’ connector. Most of the electronics are located under the rear seat. The SC went through the whole car with a fine toothed comb and made sure all my connections were snapped closed. Now it’s problem free :)

Quality control issue during assembly.

I hope yours is as easy to fix. Good luck.
He had one job!! Connector snapper guy. You're fired!

I received a call late Friday saying the car was fixed but I wasn't able to pick it up until Tuesday morning because of the holiday. Here's what the invoice says:
Inspected vehicle's alerts and confirmed rear drive unit is in limp mode. Removed the main logic connector on rear motor
and re-installed and found alerts cleared. Further inspection found a slightly splayed pin on the main logic connector.
Removed rear subframe and replaced the necessary harness. Test drove vehicle and verified no issues or alerts at this
time.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Harness - Subframe - Rear (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASY,HARN,RR SUBFRAME,M3,COIL(1067968-01-D) 1.0

I discussed it with the technicians and they blamed the robot that put it together. They don't have an explanation as to why it didn't allow the front motor to work but they theorized it was because of the fault and the computer thinking it all needed to get shutdown. Still not reassuring but I am glad they found the issue and didn't just guess. I also did verify that I do know how to put it in neutral and it did roll easily. I'm still scared to think what would have happened if we'd been in a more dangerous situation though being stuck on the railroad tracks wasn't great we were able to safely exit the vehicle. Blind bends in the mountains and freeways aren't nearly as safe.

I received a call late Friday saying the car was fixed but I wasn't able to pick it up until Tuesday morning because of the holiday. Here's what the invoice says:
Inspected vehicle's alerts and confirmed rear drive unit is in limp mode. Removed the main logic connector on rear motor
and re-installed and found alerts cleared. Further inspection found a slightly splayed pin on the main logic connector.
Removed rear subframe and replaced the necessary harness. Test drove vehicle and verified no issues or alerts at this
time.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Harness - Subframe - Rear (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASY,HARN,RR SUBFRAME,M3,COIL(1067968-01-D) 1.0

I discussed it with the technicians and they blamed the robot that put it together. They don't have an explanation as to why it didn't allow the front motor to work but they theorized it was because of the fault and the computer thinking it all needed to get shutdown. Still not reassuring but I am glad they found the issue and didn't just guess. I also did verify that I do know how to put it in neutral and it did roll easily. I'm still scared to think what would have happened if we'd been in a more dangerous situation though being stuck on the railroad tracks wasn't great we were able to safely exit the vehicle. Blind bends in the mountains and freeways aren't nearly as safe.

FWIW, some terminals are out of spec from the connector manufacturer.