Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Sitting For 3 Weeks In Hot Garage - Charge Or Not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't control when the Tesla Model Y will cool the battery pack. The Tesla may circulate coolant through the pack and the vehicle's radiator. The radiator fan can come on, the AC compressor may also be turned on. If I am leaving for a week my Tesla Model Y is safer in my garage than on my driveway or at an airport parking lot.
You can control cooling, just not directly.

Cooling kicks in (as needed) during charging, so one can avoid cooling by avoiding charging.

To avoid charging, one can set the car up with a full charge before leaving, and then lower the charging limit so the car doesn’t try to maintain 90% over those three weeks.

You can control cooling, just not directly.

Cooling kicks in (as needed) during charging, so one can avoid cooling by avoiding charging.

To avoid charging, one can set the car up with a full charge before leaving, and then lower the charging limit so the car doesn’t try to maintain 90% over those three weeks.
The Model Y will cool the battery pack as needed even when not charging. I don't charge my Model Y at home. In the summer my Model Y will turn on, circulate coolant (I assume between the battery pack and the radiator) about once an hour during the warmest part of the day. My Model Y will also turn on the radiator fan (I can hear it running.) Sometimes, if my garage gets warm enough ~3PM to 4PM when the temperature can reach 100F (typically around 95F) my Model Y will turn on, run the AC (I later see the condensate water on the floor of my garage.)

Reactions: Marcust99
The Tesla Model Y will cool the battery pack as needed if the temperature of the cells within the battery pack get too warm by circulating coolant, running the radiator fan and also running the AC.

I would set the charging threshold to somewhere around 60% state of charge and leave the Tesla plugged in. The Tesla will charge as required if the battery charge falls ~5% to 10% below the set limit. If you are concerned about charging at 240V/32A you can set the maximum charging amperage lower but there is no need.

If you set up Scheduled Charging you can set a time each day when the Tesla Model Y will start charging. This way you can ensure that charging only happens during the early morning hours when the temperature inside the garage is a bit cooler.
this is not correct. there is no active cooling during resting, unless perhaps the battery is above 55C.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
this is not correct. there is no active cooling during resting, unless perhaps the battery is above 55C.
Yes there is. I see this all the time in summer when my Model Y is parked (unplugged), normally in sleep mode, inside my garage. During the warmest part of the day, i.e. after 3PM the garage temperature well exceeds 90F (32C) My Long Range Model Y will wake up, sometimes more than once an hour, where it will run the coolant pump and radiator fan as required. The Tesla Model Y may also run the AC is required to maintain an acceptable battery temperature.

I receive a text message every time my Long Range Model Y wakes from sleep mode. It does this frequently between 3PM and 8PM; not during the late evening hours.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes there is. I see this all the time in summer when my Model Y is parked (unplugged), normally in sleep mode, inside my garage. During the warmest part of the day, i.e. after 3PM the garage temperature well exceeds 90F (32C) My Long Range Model Y will wake up, sometimes more than once an hour, where it will run the coolant pump and radiator fan as required. The Tesla Model Y may also run the AC is required to maintain an acceptable battery temperature.

I receive a text message every time my Long Range Model Y wakes from sleep mode. It does this frequently between 3PM and 8PM; not during the late evening hours.
Example: Today I went out for breakfast (it was delicious.) I returned at 09:30. The outside temperature was ~81F (27C) I parked my Tesla Model Y inside my garage. Just a short while ago my Model Y woke up, powered on the Tesla Model Y 12V system. (I have an Amazon Echo Auto device plugged into the Tesla 12V accessory port. Whenever the Tesla is powered on I received a text message that the Alexa app is ready to drive.) This was just shy of 5 hours after I parked the Model Y inside my garage. The garage temperature is currently 96F (35.5C) The outside temperature is ~93 (34C) in the shade. When I placed my ear on the hood of my Model Y I was able to hear a faint hum. Not sure if this is a fan running or a coolant pump. It is much too quiet to be the AC compressor. Once this cycle starts in the PM it will continue, perhaps every 30 to 40 minutes, until I drive the Tesla vehicle or the garage eventually cools down a bit.

That is cabin overheat .. it's keeping the cabin below
Example: Today I went out for breakfast (it was delicious.) I returned at 09:30. The outside temperature was ~81F (27C) I parked my Tesla Model Y inside my garage. Just a short while ago my Model Y woke up, powered on the Tesla Model Y 12V system. (I have an Amazon Echo Auto device plugged into the Tesla 12V accessory port. Whenever the Tesla is powered on I received a text message that the Alexa app is ready to drive.) This was just shy of 5 hours after I parked the Model Y inside my garage. The garage temperature is currently 96F (35.5C) The outside temperature is ~93 (34C) in the shade. When I placed my ear on the hood of my Model Y I was able to hear a faint hum. Not sure if this is a fan running or a coolant pump. It is much too quiet to be the AC compressor. Once this cycle starts in the PM it will continue, perhaps every 30 to 40 minutes, until I drive the Tesla vehicle or the garage eventually cools down a bit.
as others have noted this is the cabin overheat .. nothing to do with the battery. Why did you think it was cooling the battery?

That is cabin overheat .. it's keeping the cabin below

as others have noted this is the cabin overheat .. nothing to do with the battery. Why did you think it was cooling the battery?
It is not cabin overheat protection. Cabin Overheat Protection only activates when the cabin temperature reaches 105F (40.5C). My Model Y was parked for 5 hours inside my garage. The temperature in the garage never exceeded ~96F.

As a next step I will turn off Cabin Overhear Protection and see what happens tomorrow when the temperature inside my garage goes into the 90s.

Thats cabin overheat. Where I live it gets VERY Hot. Well above 40C in summer. And I can tell you that my Model 3 sleeps like a baby, even in 45C heat.
The cooling you observe is cabin overheat cooling.
Even during normal driving the operating temperature is above 50C where the battery gets actively cooled above 55C.
during parking such high temps are not reached though I suspect hypothetically the car would start cooling the battery if you were to park it in 60C heat...

Also when it is warm the car will run the AC to dry the filters - up to 90min.