Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car sleeping for 1 min, then idling for 11.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently got my model 3 and I've been trying to get rid of vampire drain.

Sentry mode is off

The energy app on the car shows that I lose about 1-2km per hour on the mobile app, but I don't have the app open.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

1668351487588.png

Haven't had a third-party app installed. I changed my Tesla account password also to make sure.
That screenshot looks like one from Teslafi (which is a third party company that you would be providing access to your account from). It falls squarely in the "third party app" category, for the question of "did you install a third party app?" Perhaps I am wrong, because I have not used teslafi longer than the free trial I had 4 years ago, but thats what it looks like to me.

Even if its not teslafi, it certainly isnt anything provided by tesla, thus "third party access".

If you changed your tesla account password, you also need to not re log back into whatever that is that is generating that screenshot, AND wait a day or so to see if anything changes.

That screenshot looks like one from Teslafi (which is a third party company that you would be providing access to your account from). It falls squarely in the "third party app" category, for the question of "did you install a third party app?" Perhaps I am wrong, because I have not used teslafi longer than the free trial I had 4 years ago, but thats what it looks like to me.

Even if its not teslafi, it certainly isnt anything provided by tesla, thus "third party access".

If you changed your tesla account password, you also need to not re log back into whatever that is that is generating that screenshot, AND wait a day or so to see if anything changes.

Sorry for the confusion.

This same issue of my car not sleeping has happened before I got teslafi.

I only got teslafi to confirm/find some kind of graph to show this to be happening.

I never open my app, but when I check my widget, I've never seen the status say sleeping. It usually says last seen 10-30mins ago.

I had this happen a while back on a different Model 3 I had. I am not sure what I did to fix it, I think it went away after a software update. For comparison, I have teslafi and don't see the same kind of loss. Pic for comparison. I actually logged into teslafi a couple times today and they don't show up on the timeline. Seems to only 'wake' the car up if I open the phone app.
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 11.44.44 AM.png

I wasnt saying "teslafi isnt compatible with letting the car sleep". I was saying "teslafi counts as a third party app, for troubleshooting purposes, when troubleshooting "my car wont sleep properly".

OP, If you have home charging, try unplugging your car from your home charger, and also selecting "power off" in the menus on the car screen. In order to power off the car and exit it without it waking back up right away:

1. Open the drivers door, and get in the car. Leave the door open while you are sitting there.
2. Access the screen , and push the power off button. I dont remember which menu option its in but you will find it if you look, its not in the hidden service menu or anything.
3. after you tap the "power off" button, exit the car through the still open drivers door. Close the door.

Wait 15-20 minutes (minimum) and see if the car is asleep.

Try the above with your home charging disconnected, and if it works, then try connecting your home charging back and see if it will go back to sleep. Do all this without having teslafi or any other third party solution and see what happens.

Car is still not able to sleep for longer than 1 minute.

Also forgot to mention, this happens regardless if the car is being charged or just parked.

I don't believe it is teslafi causing this as the same thing was already happening before I got teslafi.

1668373679360.png

Car is still not able to sleep for longer than 1 minute.

Also forgot to mention, this happens regardless if the car is being charged or just parked.

I don't believe it is teslafi causing this as the same thing was already happening before I got teslafi.

View attachment 874269

Did you try what I put in Post 7? Let me summarize

1. Uninstall teslafi and do not use it.
2. change your tesla password again
3. unplug the car from your home charging
4. power the car down.

Did you try this?

What software release are you on?

Excessive phantom drain is almost always caused by something the user is doing - Sentry Mode, Cabin Overheat Protection, frequently checking their mobile app, etc. And oftentimes it's because the user has installed one or more third-party apps (which keep pinging the car so they can get their data). Ergo the advice above to remove any such apps and change your Tesla password.

But there was a release a couple months back that had numerous reports of sudden, unexpected phantom drain. Tesla fixed it pretty quickly.

im on software 2022.36.6.

This is the drain that happened to me from 6:30 last night till about 11:30am this morning.

I never opened my Tesla app once.View attachment 874487

its pretty clear from your screenshot of consumption, that the car thinks its being interacted with from "something" via mobile access. Since you stated in your last post you both stopped using teslafi and changed your password again after you stopped, have you ever, even once, tried ANY other third party app like (but not limited to) STATS, Tessie, Watch for Tesla, etc, OR put your tesla account credentials in something like AbetterRoutePlanner?

Basically, ANYTHING that you had to authenticate to get a tesla account token for? The car thinks its being accessed via mobile, so thats where you need to focus your troubleshooting.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4 and Rocky_H
That’s the frustrating part. I’ve never used any third party app or program.

I close my Tesla app on my iPhone, but I have a widget which supposedly shouldn’t wake the car up.

Would scheduling a service appointment be useful in this situation?

If you have changed your password to something entirely new it could be some sort of hardware problem. You should contact Tesla. At least the Energy app has allowed you to narrow things down. If you change the password and do not reauthorize anything (including phone key), and still have the issue, I don’t think anyone here will be able to help.

One other thing to try overnight after another password change is to turn off Bluetooth on your phone (but should not be necessary if you do not log in to the app, changing password through web interface).

I seem to remember someone having a Vcfront failure of some form relatively recently but cannot find it with search.

I suppose the car might not like your “12V” battery but presumably it would warn you about that.

Last edited:
2022.36.x was the release where a number of people reported issues with suddenly increased phantom drain. I'm not sure if those issues were resolved in 2022.36.4 or 2022.36.5... or if it wasn't until 2022.40.x. But somewhere in there we stopped seeing all those reports.

So if it's a software bug causing your mystery drain, your first software update should take care of it.

No, trying to schedule a service appointment at this point is very unlikely to be successful. What information does exist points directly at a third-party app. You keep saying you've "never used any third party app" and yet you clearly have. The "widget" you speak of is an app. So is TeslaFi, or whatever it was that you installed to get your graph. It doesn't matter that those app(s) told you that they never wake your car. Many of them do, either by design or because of software defect. And some of them, even when supposedly "uninstalled," continue to ping your car. That's why you will always be advised to immediately change your Tesla password to something you've never used before; and then to NOT share it with ANYTHING.

If you still see unexplained phantom drain after doing that, then see what the first software update does.

That's why you will always be advised to immediately change your Tesla password to something you've never used before; and then to NOT share it with ANYTHING.

No, trying to schedule a service appointment at this point is very unlikely to be successful.
I don’t see what other option one has really since the above has already been done (allegedly). As mentioned don’t share password with anything including the phone. (Maybe there was an issue there.)