Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Squeaking when coming to complete stop (only with 21" Performance Wheels)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came across this video from a youtuber I follow. He talks about possible corrosion of some of the caliper hardware from certain wheel cleaners. Still uncertain as to why I dont get this with my 19s but maybe it's part of the problem.

I am still getting the noise just before full stops and sometimes when turning wheels at full stop, even after a Service Center visit last month (same explanation from Tesla that they gave others in this thread).

I’m telling you folks - I bought this car in July 2016 - Facelift p90dl with 21’s. Has been happening since DAY ONE. Service center did the same BS as listed above - “they just need to be seasoned”. 3x at the dealer over the years. Comes right back. Worst when after car wash/rain. Happens intermittently. It’s a HOWL. Embarrassing, worse than squeaks.

This is 100% a bad design, it’s 100% known, and It seems we are 100% screwed.
Good thing there are so many other distinctively excellent things about the car that makes me overlook this.

Reactions: ShibbyRomes
I have 21" wheels too and had the same issue with the breaks squealing coming to a stop. I recently switched to Falken FK510 tires, and the noise is much less than it had before when I was running the Michelin PSS and PS2s before that. Not sure why the tire swap would make a difference. I would say that its 80% less than before. I only get the squeaking on wet or rainy days now.

Wow! Sad to see I am not the only one! It's so crazy to me that it doesn't happen one time while I have my 19's on but 5 minutes after i put my 21's on it happened. to me it sounds like driver side front is making the most noise and its only when coming to complete stop, just feels so odd. I found a video of the exact sound I'm having from someone else.
I sent it to a ranger that has worked on my car a few times now and he scheduled an appointment for me to come look at it next Thursday. Hopefully I'll have a better answer. FYI, those that go to service centers... their ranger (mobile) service is freaking awesome. The local guy for NE Ohio is good and very nice
My Model S does the same thing with 21" Arachnid wheels. Did you ever find a fix?

Reactions: rosegrif1
My Model S does the same thing with 21" Arachnid wheels. Did you ever find a fix?
Squeaking - not really. There's some resonance of something in the brakes/suspension that just happens to coincide with a 21" diameter wheel... But on the creaking sound that I and some others were getting - I had my axle nuts tightened and the sound went away. I still get a little metallic ringing/squeaking sound occasionally but the other sound is gone.

Squeaking - not really. There's some resonance of something in the brakes/suspension that just happens to coincide with a 21" diameter wheel... But on the creaking sound that I and some others were getting - I had my axle nuts tightened and the sound went away. I still get a little metallic ringing/squeaking sound occasionally but the other sound is gone.
I had this too - did you get Tesla service to tighten the axle nuts? or other approach ?

This has to do 100% with the CAST 21" Turbine, Twin Turbine.
These Rims are acting like a tuning fork and amplify the resonation of the brakepads.

I had the same issues, thried literally EVERYTHING. The "brake squeal fix" chemics mildered the sound,
but switching to forged wheels cured it.

Tesla doesn´t develop their rims with resonance in mind, and the little testing doesn´t help in this regard.

These Rims are acting like a tuning fork and amplify the resonation of the brakepads.

I had the same issues, thried literally EVERYTHING. The "brake squeal fix" chemics mildered the sound,

Tesla doesn´t develop their rims with resonance in mind, and the little testing doesn´t help in this regard.
Not sure as the forged archanid 21” rims also caused squealing brakes

Reactions: Art VandeIay

I have custom forged 21” wheels and the sound is there. It’s the diameter that’s the issue, not the material.

Reactions: Destiny1701